Replacement Drill Chuck

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DC Ross
Gold Member

Replacement Drill Chuck

Post by DC Ross »

I'm quickly coming to the realization that there are no keyless drill chuck replacements for the SS. As a matter of fact, I don't think there are any replacement chucks available other than from SS. I'm looking for one that's more precise than what I have currently (which has way too much runout to be usable for any type of precision drilling).
Any luck finding aftermarket chucks?

Thanks!
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Nope.
BPR
jimhart
Silver Member

Post by jimhart »

DC Ross wrote:I'm quickly coming to the realization that there are no keyless drill chuck replacements for the SS. As a matter of fact, I don't think there are any replacement chucks available other than from SS. I'm looking for one that's more precise than what I have currently (which has way too much runout to be usable for any type of precision drilling).

Thanks!
I have an Albrecht chuck that was custom fitted with a 5/8" arbor to fit the shopsmith. If you're not familiar with Albrecht, google them. I never tested the arbor for runout, but I've used bits not much larger than a pin and had no problems.

i bought a dedicated drill press and haven't used this since. let me know if you're interested and i'm sure we could work something out.

Jim
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

TRYEbay......3326 (older jacobs style from SS are desirable)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shopsmith-drill-chu ... 286.c0.m14
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

DC Ross wrote:I'm quickly coming to the realization that there are no keyless drill chuck replacements for the SS. As a matter of fact, I don't think there are any replacement chucks available other than from SS. I'm looking for one that's more precise than what I have currently (which has way too much runout to be usable for any type of precision drilling).

Thanks!
Hi DC!

Try what Red suggested
TRYEbay......3326 (older jacobs style from SS are desirable)

See these threads for more information:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3199&highlight=Jacobs+chuck

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2950&highlight=Jacobs+chuck

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2630&highlight=Jacobs+chuck

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2941&highlight=Jacobs+chuck

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2791&highlight=Jacobs+chuck

Please, please please, if you ever find a keyless chuck that will work, post about it here!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i have a Craftsman drill chuck that fits the shopsmith. it is no better or worse than other chucks. it has not been modified. it is mounted on a #2 MT with a 5/8" straight shaft just like the tailstock adapter that shopsmith sells. i have no idea how old it is or where it came from originally.(well i'm pretty sure it came from Sears)
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

bettyt44720 wrote:i have a Craftsman drill chuck that fits the shopsmith. it is no better or worse than other chucks. it has not been modified. it is mounted on a #2 MT with a 5/8" straight shaft just like the tailstock adapter that shopsmith sells. i have no idea how old it is or where it came from originally.(well i'm pretty sure it came from Sears)
Is it keyless???
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

no, it is not keyless. it is 5/64" to 1/2". same as a shopsmith chuck except it is a craftsman.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

The Albrecht chuck is probably one of the best you can buy. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
billmayo
Platinum Member

Keyless Drill Chuck

Post by billmayo »

Thanks!
I have a model 6426 keyless drill chuck made in Japan. Unable to read any additional information. I used it for a while but went back to my keyed chucks. I have a few that someone took a 5/8" ID extension with threads and screwed it into a keyless drill chuck. The 6426 was very good on runout compared to the home made keyless chucks. I use the Jacob chuck from the 10ER listed in a previous post for my drilling.
[ATTACH]5761[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5762[/ATTACH]
Attachments
CIMG0504.JPG
CIMG0504.JPG (94.42 KiB) Viewed 7321 times
CIMG0506.JPG
CIMG0506.JPG (89.29 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)