TIP - Adjustable Story Stick

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

TIP - Adjustable Story Stick

Post by charlese »

Many of you have already found that the use of story sticks is not only easier than using a measuring tape, but more accurate.

I made three adjustable story sticks some time ago (each different lengths) and this is a photo of using the smallest one to measure and to cut the pieces that will fit into the dadoes. Just adjust the length with the two bolts/wingnuts. Also use this stick between the saw blade and a stop block for the accurate cut.

The most popular use of these pointed sliding sticks is to determine the squareness of a frame.

[ATTACH]5743[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Adjustable Story Stick.jpg
Adjustable Story Stick.jpg (126.86 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

charlese wrote:Many of you have already found that the use of story sticks is not only easier than using a measuring tape, but more accurate.

I made three adjustable story sticks some time ago (each different lengths) and this is a photo of using the smallest one to measure and to cut the pieces that will fit into the dadoes. Just adjust the length with the two bolts/wingnuts. Also use this stick between the saw blade and a stop block for the accurate cut.

The most popular use of these pointed sliding sticks is to determine the squareness of a frame.

[ATTACH]5743[/ATTACH]
Carlese,

Great idea.
Could you post more pics? These old eyes:( and slow brain cannot determine just how ments are made are made.:eek:

Thanks.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

How did you cut the groove? Was it with a router?
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

Very interesting. Please post a better photo so I can see how it is made.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

O.K. a couple more pix will be coming -

To make a couple of these - get some scrap stock- (I used ¼" MDF).
--Using a wider piece of scrap for safety's sake, Route a ¼" wide slot in the scrap, about a half inch from the side.
--Then saw closer to the slot on both sides and cut points on the ends.
I used a band saw to make the sides of the scrap closer to the sides and to make the points. (the points don't have to be perfectly centered - just free handed.

These sticks will reach exactly into corners or into smaller slots or dadoes.

With Several sizes of these sticks there is no longer a need to bend a measuring tape, "loose an inch" on the tape, or make an approximate pencil mark on a stick. The sticks are held together only by the small bolts and matching wing nuts. You can have a 6 inch stick, 1 foot stick, a 2 ft. stick a 3 footer and so forth. They can be mixed and matched to fit your needs.

[ATTACH]5749[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5751[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5750[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM2040.jpg
HPIM2040.jpg (115.84 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
HPIM2041.jpg
HPIM2041.jpg (113.48 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
HPIM2042.jpg
HPIM2042.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Thanks for the rest of the story about the story sticks. GOOD TIP
Eric, Sebring Fl.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Thanks for the tip. It looks like a very useful tool.:)
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have started using story sticks myself but I make a story stick for a project and move on. My story stick usually contains all the vital measurements for my project.
For instance if I'm making a cabinet that is 8 feet long. My story stick is then 8 feet long. If the side of the cabinet are 3/4" thick and are end jointed to the top and bottom of my cabinet my story stick has a mark 3/4" in from each end. If going to have drawers 8" in from each side and the drawer openings are 8" wide I have two markes on my each end of my story stick the first is 8" in and the other is 16" in. If the face frame is going to a have an upright (rail) that is 21/2" then 2 1/2" past the 16" mark is a mark and etc.

When I'm done I have a measurement layout of the my cabinet. I then put away my rule and use the story stick to setup all my milling of material. I lay it over the cabinet box to make sure everything is in agreement with the story stick top bottom front and back. Then I do the same with the face frame. If all the various pieces are laid out according the story stick top to bottom I know everything is square and at the right measurment.

I use the story stick to prevent different measurement because each ruler, tape measure and etc can be a touch different than the other. I also use it so I don't have to remember if the measurement was 2 3/16 or 2 3/32 I just use the story stick. Lastly if I did make a mistake setting up the story stick, and since everything is done according to the story stick the mistake would be carried over to everything since I use the story stick to setup my machines and all.

For instance I wanted the drawers to be 8 inches wide but measured 7 on the story stick. All the would happen would be I would have a perfectly fitted cabinet with 7 inch drawers instead of 8. If I measured everything I could have the opening as 7 inches but the drawer bottom 8 inches wide. The drawer wouldn't fit.

Of course to mimimize such mistakes I measure and twice (or more times) then mark my story stick.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your story sticks. I have used story sticks in the past but never gave any thought to making an adjustable one that I can reuse on another project. Usually if I had a stick with any length I would save it for a future project and if I needed a shorter one then I would cut it down to desired length. I definitely like your method and thinking. That's what is so good about this forum. Always learning new and good ideas to make woodworking more enjoyable and saving on unnecessary expenses. Thumbs Up!!
Ron from Lewisburg, TN