A Simple Twin Bed Frame Project

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rkh2
Platinum Member

A Simple Twin Bed Frame Project

Post by rkh2 »

This is a twin bed frame I made for my Grandson. My daughter didn't want to spend too much, so it was made with pine boards, 2 X4's, 2 X 6 & 2 X 8 for foot board and 2 X 8 & 2 X 10 for head board and 3/4 X 4" for slats. Head board & foot board were attached to 2 X 4's using 3/4" dowels drilled out on SS in horizontal boring mode using 3/4" forstner bit and glued together. The side rails are screwed to the head board & foot board which enable them to be removed when assembling or disassembling. The slats just rest in the spaces that have spacers to keep them from moving around. Got the plans free of the internet. Biggest challenge was drilling out for the dowels and having the holes align when marrying the pieces. Definitely is a solid frame and would not want to carry it around fully assembled. It should hold up for him while he is in the age where kids get a little rough on furniture - 6 years old.[ATTACH]4827[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Grandson Twin Bed Frame.JPG
Grandson Twin Bed Frame.JPG (167.52 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Ron

Nice looking bed and there is nothing wrong with pine.

Mark
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Nice looking bed frame. It should last through the 6 yr old. :)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Your grandson will probably use it for his son some day.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, Ron! Thanks for posting a photo of your Grandson's bed!:D It is nice to see what other guys are doing with their Shopsmiths.

Good looking, sturdy bed! He should be able to jump up and down on this for quite a few Christmas celebrations! In the future, his kids will have some jumps also.

Hope you signed it! If you didn't, and have a wood burner, it's not too late! Your sign and the date will be very important later.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ron:

I think Charlese and others said it all, including the signing part.

Good Job!

John
dlbristol
Platinum Member

dowel matching

Post by dlbristol »

Biggest challenge was drilling out for the dowels and having the holes align when marrying the pieces..[ATTACH]4827[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Nice work. I am going to start using Pine more often on projects. As for Dowels, I am working on a mission style bed that has a bunch of dowel joints. I had pretty good success and the key seemed to be in planning ahead to allow one set up to do all the dowels in a specific part. The other was to SLOW DOWN. 40 years or so of "hyper time urgency" dies hard!! :o
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
transplanted
Gold Member

Post by transplanted »

Very nice bed indeed. +1 on the jumping around on the bed..;) It looks sturdy enough to handle the most aspiring Olympic athlete-to-be.
My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Very nice, what kind of finish did you use?
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
Underdog
Gold Member

Post by Underdog »

Nicely done!

I will tell you from experience, that bed should easily last your grandson until he moves out. I made beds for my kids 15 years ago out of cheap 2x4's only. No doubled up legs, no "fancy" headboards, just cheap 2x4 framing all around and the beds are still going strong!

Your bed easily outdoes mine in construction and beauty! Very nice!