Dedicated Drill Press

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

csxeng
Gold Member

Dedicated Drill Press

Post by csxeng »

Hello Members,
It's been quite a while since I posted to the group. The railroad has beat me up! LOL! I will be retiring this January with 34 years of service.
Anyway, I finally was able to mount my 10ER to the garage wall. This was a ShopSmith that a friend of mine had given me. Not bad condition considering he left it outside for two years. This thing was a rust bucket. I disassembled it and cleaned it up and put a nice coat of paint. Picked up a cheap drill press vise from Harbor Freight. Here are some pictures I took.
Dave V.
Attachments
IMG_5358 copy.JPG
IMG_5358 copy.JPG (100.29 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
IMG_5359 copy.JPG
IMG_5359 copy.JPG (101.4 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
IMG_5360 copy.JPG
IMG_5360 copy.JPG (95 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
rogersk
Gold Member

Re: Dedicated Drill Press

Post by rogersk »

Looks great! How hard was it to attach to the wall? How did you hold it up?

--Keith
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

My boss bought a 10ER and it just sits in the barn. I have ask him about it for the same reason what you did with yours. He say he would part with but we haven’t talk any further but it. I’m a little tight on room right now
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You done good!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

Hi Keith,
It really wasn't hard at all. After finding the studs behind the sheet rock and attaching the wood supports to the wall, I disassembled the machine leaving just the steel tubes and the main hinged bottom plate. I then supported the steel tubes on a surface about the same level to where the bottom plate was to be secured to the wall. If you have access to an automotive hydraulic floor jack you can raise the other end with ease to be bolted to the wall. Then after you feel comfortable about your mounting work, raise the tubes so you can mark the spot for the head rest and where you're gonna attach the upper wood support. After you're all done with that, then you can start to re-assemble the machine. Be advised you may have to add/modify the tie bar so the assembly doesn't fall forward on you. I would not rely on just the headrest knob. Somewhere on the form there is instructions on how to modify the tie bar. Hope this helps your question.
Dave V.
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

csxeng wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:58 am Hi Keith,
It really wasn't hard at all. After finding the studs behind the sheet rock and attaching the wood supports to the wall, I disassembled the machine leaving just the steel tubes and the main hinged bottom plate. I then supported the steel tubes on a surface about the same level to where the bottom plate was to be secured to the wall. If you have access to an automotive hydraulic floor jack you can raise the other end with ease to be bolted to the wall. Then after you feel comfortable about your mounting work, raise the tubes so you can mark the spot for the head rest and where you're gonna attach the upper wood support. After you're all done with that, then you can start to re-assemble the machine. Be advised you may have to add/modify the tie bar so the assembly doesn't fall forward on you. I would not rely on just the headrest knob. Somewhere on the form there is instructions on how to modify the tie bar. Hope this helps your question.
Dave V.
Yes, this was most helpful.
Thank you.

--Keith
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

[/quote]
Yes, this was most helpful.
Thank you.

--Keith