Save Your Peanut Butter Jars

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Save Your Peanut Butter Jars

Post by dusty »

They make excellent containers for storage of things like arbors, adjustable stop collars, etc.

For those who have rust and corrosion problems, a desiccant bag could be thrown in too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

My favorite is baby food jars for screws, small parts, and findings. Sadly my jars are quite old, However, the twins (grandboys) are due any day, and I am looking forward to starting a new collection.:D
Gee, peanut butter is a great idea, it is think enough to keep the metal parts from banging against the glass. And it washes off with soap and water before you need to use the part.:D
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

kalynzoo wrote: Gee, peanut butter is a great idea, it is think enough to keep the metal parts from banging against the glass. And it washes off with soap and water before you need to use the part.:D
WOW! A great use for "recalled" PNB!:D DUSTY >>>> Desiccant (gets rid of red dots[spell checker]):D :D Do KNOT kno if it is correct!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

kalynzoo wrote:My favorite is baby food jars for screws, small parts, and findings. Sadly my jars are quite old, However, the twins (grandboys) are due any day, and I am looking forward to starting a new collection.:D
Gee, peanut butter is a great idea, it is think enough to keep the metal parts from banging against the glass. And it washes off with soap and water before you need to use the part.:D

I quit using baby food jars because they were glass and I broke a couple. It has been many years since. Maybe baby food jars are no glass - I'll have to check.

But, if I check and they are no longer glass - where do I propose to get them? I still have teeth and don't need baby food...yet. I still love a good steak.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

You know I would have never thought to mention using PB jars, I've been doing that since they went to plastic some years back. I must have 40 or 50 of them with all sorts of parts in them, and they are great for that.

I also collected coffee cans for a while and I must have over 100 of them also storing lots of items. I have a collection of yogurt containers when they use to have the clear plastic lids.... and all manner of other containers... as the saying goes:
reuse
reduce
recycle

I think we ended up getting 6 jars of baby food total for our three kids. I got this set of cool yellow lids that let them mount on pegboard. At this time only one jar is left the others all got broken... and the lid system only fit those small glass container. Yes I agree, no glass in my shop, well at least for storage.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dusty wrote:I quit using baby food jars because they were glass and I broke a couple. It has been many years since. Maybe baby food jars are no glass - I'll have to check.

But, if I check and they are no longer glass - where do I propose to get them? I still have teeth and don't need baby food...yet. I still love a good steak.

Dusty, baby food jars are still glass. BUT some of the food come in rectangular plastic containers. Which I have snagged for my purposes, also keep some Glad containers that sliced ham came in. That I keep my biscuits in.
I STILL have glass jars left over from 30 years ago.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

PET 'jars' are also good for 'travel'. Do not need to worry about breakage. They can be packed without worrying about them clanking against one another and breaking.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

One "marketing legend" is that USA baby-food sold very poorly in some countries. They were accustomed to the picture on the jar being the same as the contents of the jar.
Chris
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Good point Chris! :D

Watch out if you are going out to buy PB these days, there has been a number of deaths due to Salmonella poisoning with PB and they haven't traced the source yet.

P.S. Mayo jars work well too. Lessons I learned from my dad.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

I love those tubes that M&Ms come in. Some day I will find a use for them:o :o

John