Speed Reducer Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

miken
Gold Member

Re: Speed Reducer Option

Post by miken »

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Mike
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
anith
Bronze Member

Post by anith »

Great idea miken, thanks for sharing the details. Also, thanks to SteveMaryland for a helpful site.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

anith wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:55 am Great idea miken, thanks for sharing the details. Also, thanks to SteveMaryland for a helpful site.
You're welcome!

By the way, I bought a relatively cheap bimetal, 1/2" x 14tpi, general purpose blade and it cut mild steel like butter. I was very impressed. The speed reducer puts my input rpm at 115 which works out to an SFPM (surface feet per minute) of 331, which is in the ballpark with the cutting speeds for free machining low carbon steels (12L14/1215), and aluminum. Too fast for most harder steels, though it would still cut but damage the blade.

Thanks, Mike -
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Yes, still kind of fast, but even at those speeds the blades will cut some pretty hard stuff for a reasonable amount of blade wear. Air cooling can be helpful for both the piece and the blade. Those blades can be pretty inexpensive too. The metal cutting saw I have runs at 135 FPM and has feed rate control, it's using a low cost blade bi-metal blade from Amazon. It had predicted 15 hour life with an old hardened steel blade, that's a good bit of cutting for the price.

You might be able to tilt the table and maintain a gravity assisted feed rate, just a little extra hand pressure to keep it moving, If you are insane you might think of the simple way to turn your saw horizontal. You'd have to be much more insane to try it. ;)
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

edma194 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:53 pm If you are insane you might think of the simple way to turn your saw horizontal. You'd have to be much more insane to try it. ;)
No, I am just trying to find a use for the SS bandsaw as I have a dedicated stand alone bandsaw for wood cutting. I will play with this for a while and probably get a portaband at some point. Its fun to experiment.

Thanks, Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
Matt50
Bronze Member

Post by Matt50 »

Thought I'd revive this and ask how the reducer has held up?
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Hi Matt50, it is still working great. Which reminds me I really should take it apart and check for wear and add grease. I am still using the same blade as well, so the speed is pretty good for the mostly mild steel and aluminum i cut. The only down side has been the adapter I made to hold the SS drive collar has broken twice. The piece that fits into the versamatic has an end on it that is like a drill bit that's been filed in half. I made my adapter from mild steel and the tip breaks off. Easy to fix but annoying.

[Edit] the tip i was trying to describe is apparently called a Yankee style bit holder.

Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper