WHERE to drill the holes?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

WHERE to drill the holes?

Post by beeg »

I have a board that's 7.25 inches wide by 14.375 inches in length. I want to drill three 15/16th holes across, even to each other and to the sides.
Then drill more holes the length of the board inline with the ones across. HOW do I figure out where to drill the holes on this pounding bench for the granddaughters birthday?:confused:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
BigSky
Gold Member

Where to drll the holes?

Post by BigSky »

If I understand what you are trying to do, you have not given enough information.

How many holes do you want in total?
MarkFive510
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

So - I started by thinking you would want about 3/4" between the centers of the three hole and the long edges. doing this would require subtracting 3/4" from each side. 7.25" - 1.5" = 5.75" divided by three = 1.9167". This means you will want 1.9" between the two holes.

After marking a center line across the board, and two parallel lines 1.9" from each side of the center line - - Drill the first hole in the center of the short side with the center of the hole located 3/4" in from the outside. Depending on the radius of the holes, the edge of the hole will be closer to the edge.

Then mark the sides at 1.9" intervals and saw the other end of the board off to match the first side.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

markfive510 wrote:If I understand what you are trying to do, you have not given enough information.

How many holes do you want in total?
I think 4 rows of 3 holes across.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
RonnyL
Bronze Member

Drill Holes

Post by RonnyL »

Divide the width of the board in half = 3 5/8, now divide this figure in half = 1 13/16. The holes on the width of the board will be 1 13/16 apart center to center. Put your first row 1 13/16 from either end and continue down the board until you get about 1 13/16 from the other end. You will have to adjust the board length slighty to keep all holes 1 13/16 apart (center to center)
Knowledge gained but not shared is knowledge lost

Ronny
RonnyL
Bronze Member

Drill Holes

Post by RonnyL »

Let me expand on this a little bit. Lay out a grid out on the board with all lines 1 13/16 apart and where the lines cross should be the center of each hole. If I had the capabilites of drawing the grid online it would be plainer. I hope this is not to confusing

Ronny
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Possibly a picture will best convey my approach.

[ATTACH]2986[/ATTACH]

This sketch shows two approaches. One is more balanced than the other. I would use the one on the right side.
Attachments
Pounding Board Drill Pattern.jpg
Pounding Board Drill Pattern.jpg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 5548 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Where to drll the holes?

Post by dusty »

Another approach would be to trim the board to 7"x14" and then lay the holes out on a 1 3/4" grid. In other words perform a force fit.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RonnyL
Bronze Member

Post by RonnyL »

Perfect Dusty, I agree the one on the right - even on each end.

Someday I'm going to learn how to do those drawing online.:o

Ronny
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RonnyL wrote:Perfect Dusty, I agree the one on the right - even on each end.

Someday I'm going to learn how to do those drawing online.:o

Down load a free copy of Sketchup and start now. I am having a lot of fun with it. The program is far more powerful than I can use but maybe someday I'll be able to do more than the simple things.

Just Google "Sketchup" and you'll find an offer to download the program.

http://www.sketchupfordummies.com will give you an excellent set of startup instructions in video format.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty