Bad start with the flip of a switch! Help!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sawdust1955
Bronze Member

Bad start with the flip of a switch! Help!

Post by sawdust1955 »

This morning, I was going to begin building a small vanity. I had cut a piece of plywood to the correct width and shut off the shopsmith. When I was ready for the next cut, I again hit the switch. This time there was a strange sound and the motor slowed and stopped! I thought my motor had given up on me after about 20 yrs. I took the covers off to check the motor and as I took the bottom cover (and motor) off a couple of "parts" rattled out. After checking the diagram of the parts for the headstock, I discovered that the 2 parts were a "rollpin" and a "retaining loop" for the control sheave. I have no clue as to how these go back on. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! By the way, my 20 yr. old motor is fine. The drive belt was pretty rough so I ordered another. (plus I ordered another rollpin and retaining loop to hopefully get an idea on how they fit back in)
johnmaha
Bronze Member

bad start

Post by johnmaha »

Recently had the same problem and replaced the control sheave assembly. Just follow the instructions sent with the new sheave, relatively easy.
shopsmith
Bronze Member

Post by shopsmith »

It sounds like your quadrant control has lost the retaining ring. This would stall your motor out due to the fact that it will detach from the qontrol sheaves. I would suggest contact our service techs at 800-762-7555 so that they can walk you through the repair of reattaching the loop and getting your speeds down to the proper setting.
Shopsmith, Inc.
Working Hard to be your lifetime woodworking partner
earlmorton
Gold Member

Post by earlmorton »

I've been through that a few times recently, too. I decided that the root cause of my problem was neglecting proper lubrication of the control sheave, so the bearings were shot.

Once you get it working again, don't forget to oil it regularly! It's a lot easier (and cheaper!) than replacing the control sheave.

Earl Morton
sawdust1955
Bronze Member

Bad start

Post by sawdust1955 »

Thanks to all for your answers. I hope to soon be back up and running. Today was the first day in several here in Missouri that the temps and humidity were down. Would have been perfect for doing a little woodwork with my shopsmith. Looking forward to good conversation and much more "sawdust therapy".
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

shopsmith wrote:It sounds like your quadrant control has lost the retaining ring. This would stall your motor out due to the fact that it will detach from the qontrol sheaves. I would suggest contact our service techs at 800-762-7555 so that they can walk you through the repair of reattaching the loop and getting your speeds down to the proper setting.
Can I suggest that although your reply is helpful, it would be far better for the community as a whole if you publish the "walk-through" here, or post a URL to a website page/s that we can all access. This would also save an expensive phone call for those of us outside the USA (0800 numbers for the US don't work for me!). If, as has been stated, these instructions come with a new control sheave, it should be easy to publish them, and as they already belong to Shopsmith, there are no copyright problems. :)

Regards,

Alan.