Pat on the back for shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Billdit
Gold Member

Pat on the back for shopsmith

Post by Billdit »

Thought I would post this since often all we see are problems and complaining...
My headstock lock locked up. With the power Pro causing one to loosen the motor and power supply to even see the locks, I didn't want to start this without replacement parts. I called Shopsmith Tuesday afternoon late... the new parts were delivered this morning (Thursday) ... so I wanted to send them an "atta boy" ... thought this might be the place to do it.
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Pat on the back for shopsmith

Post by jsburger »

Maybe there is hope that things will get better. :) :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Yep,
When they have the parts they are still quick to get them out. I always ask now before the order if the parts are in stock. If they are not I don't place the order or go ahead knowing it will be weeks before I see them.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Outstanding! Good to hear!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
tenbears
Gold Member

Post by tenbears »

Off topic but still related, where did you find the procedure for replacing the locks and for that matter where did you find the remounting instructions for the Power Pro motor. The Power Pro manual has nothing on the lock replacement nor on mounting or remounting of the motor. Nothing in the MarkV manuals either.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The headstock lock is from greenie days.

The power Pro makes access very difficult.

I am sure DIY version tells how to mount the motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tenbears wrote:Off topic but still related, where did you find the procedure for replacing the locks and for that matter where did you find the remounting instructions for the Power Pro motor. The Power Pro manual has nothing on the lock replacement nor on mounting or remounting of the motor. Nothing in the MarkV manuals either.
Where are there instructions for any of the Mark 5/V models that detail how to do procedures like replace the carriage lock mechanism, replace/repair the speed control, maintain the quill advance mechanism, remove and replace the motor sheave or check/replace replace bearings. Detailed (step by step) procedures for these tasks just do not exist.

I learned much of what I have needed to know in Industrial Arts Class and on the jobs that I have had over the years. I have personal knowledge of youngsters who would have no idea of where to start (unless we are talking about a computer).

The Shopsmiths that we so proudly present here on the forum will not be treated the same as they have been as they become the possessions of today's and tomorrow's millennial. Home work shops like ours will disappear. They will no longer be needed or wanted. We are dinosaurs.

How many of us who post here are middle age or less? If you are, please speak up and let me know how very wrong I am.

I choose not to define middle age. I don't remember.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You be speaking about city folk. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

dusty wrote:
tenbears wrote:Off topic but still related, where did you find the procedure for replacing the locks and for that matter where did you find the remounting instructions for the Power Pro motor. The Power Pro manual has nothing on the lock replacement nor on mounting or remounting of the motor. Nothing in the MarkV manuals either.
Where are there instructions for any of the Mark 5/V models that detail how to do procedures like replace the carriage lock mechanism, replace/repair the speed control, maintain the quill advance mechanism, remove and replace the motor sheave or check/replace replace bearings. Detailed (step by step) procedures for these tasks just do not exist.

I learned much of what I have needed to know in Industrial Arts Class and on the jobs that I have had over the years. I have personal knowledge of youngsters who would have no idea of where to start (unless we are talking about a computer).

The Shopsmiths that we so proudly present here on the forum will not be treated the same as they have been as they become the possessions of today's and tomorrow's millennial. Home work shops like ours will disappear. They will no longer be needed or wanted. We are dinosaurs.

How many of us who post here are middle age or less? If you are, please speak up and let me know how very wrong I am.

I choose not to define middle age. I don't remember.

Hi Dusty,
I am middle aged or less. I don't align my machine to < 0.001" accuracy, because I know how to use a handplane for fine-tuning workpieces.
Not to sound flippant, but I have thought of buying you your own PowerPro, so you could have one to play with instead of speculating about them from afar.

Chris
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I believe a similar topic regarding PowerPro headstock locks came up in a previous thread on the forum (link below). The previous thread was title carriage locks, but based on the content, I am pretty sure the original poster intended to say headstock lock. It sounds like a plastic spiral piece was added to minimize any risk of PowerPro wiring getting caught around the rod in the headstock lock mechanism. This may possibly explain the original post on this thread and why theirs locked up. In any event, it sounds like the PowerPro requires a bit more disassembly to get at and service/repair the headstock lock. Hence the request for documentation on how to do this. Most of this kind of "stuff" is not documented well by Shopsmith, but then I don't know of any major power tool brands that have this level of repair details published either. Pretty much contact Shopsmith, or if you are mechanically inclined have at it. For the latter, this forum (and its members) are a great resource.

Off topic, but I am middle-aged or so I am told...

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenan ... 18547.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor