Power Pro headstock cooling

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro headstock cooling

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: And a question: I went the DIY route, so my motor pan has a number of holes with no obvious utility, other than improved convection cooling. I'm wondering if those holes are present on the 'new headstock' version PPs. Specifically, I'm talking about the motor vent from the AC motor, the motor mounting holes, and the original power cord hole. If some, but not all, are present, please specify. Thanks.

- David
I have a couple of screw holes open in the motor pan from my conversion of a Greenie headstock. Oddly, there was a Goldie motor pan on it, but a motor replacement had been done in that headstock by someone.

In the belt cover there is the perforated nameplate, those holes probably get clogged quite easily.

The PowerPro motor incorporates a fan directing air mainly straight back from the motor. I think a vent is needed directly behind the motor so the hot air is getting out. Additional forced air through the access hole is a great idea, if you have an access hole, not cutting one was a mistake on my part. Maybe it's possible to remove the nameplate on the belt cover and mount a fan blade and housing on the aux spindle blowing air in to maintain overall positive pressure.

I don't see running this thing at high speed for long periods of time though. I think an outlet in the belt cover behind the motor will be a good start though. I could just drill a lot of holes for that, possibly adding a shroud to help direct the motor fan output.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The main reason I asked that: While it's not a forced-air cooled design like the conventional headstock, the PowerPro fan will cause some air movement in and out of the headstock. My assessment is that the primary air 'inlet' is the hole where the cord entered the motor pan prior to the upgrade. But, I would think it is unlikely that a new Mark 7 or new PowerPro headstock includes that hole. Similar comment for the other motor pan holes, each of which has a use unique to the conventional motor.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote:The main reason I asked that: While it's not a forced-air cooled design like the conventional headstock, the PowerPro fan will cause some air movement in and out of the headstock. My assessment is that the primary air 'inlet' is the hole where the cord entered the motor pan prior to the upgrade. But, I would think it is unlikely that a new Mark 7 or new PowerPro headstock includes that hole. Similar comment for the other motor pan holes, each of which has a use unique to the conventional motor.

- David
In addition to those holes, and the belt cover vent and gaps around the spindles, the way tubes have thin spaces for incoming air at 4 places. I think these are very susceptible to picking up dust, so positive pressure would be a great benefit and turn all those holes into outlets.

I've never met a factory made PowerPro so now you have me wondering if those have additional inlet or outlet holes.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER