Triton Router Dust Collection Preview

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Triton Router Dust Collection Preview

Post by reible »

I have a project coming up where I plan to use my Triton router in my small portable router table. I had a dust collector hose that was close but the confined/compact area made it less then wonderful to use.

I noticed that the latest Infinitytool catalog had a 4pc dust collection package and I have placed an order for it. This is a preview rather then a review since I have yet to receive it. The cost was relatively low at $19.90 and $4.90 shipping so it can't be a total loss if it works at all.

https://www.infinitytools.com/triton-ro ... on-package

I have high hopes for this. If you have one of these routers and are interested in a review let me know and I'll do one once I have it and have played with it for a while.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Triton Router Dust Collection Preview

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’d appreciate your review, Ed. If it works well, I might replace my shop-made rig. I’m especially curious to know how the fence collection works with the smaller hose — I ran 2-1/2” hose there. I would expect that the smaller hose reduces airflow at the fence, but increases it under-table.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

If the hose itself proves less than satisfactory, head to a vacuum repair shop and ask for a length of Filter Queen hose (what I bought is brown with black in color . It fits well into the router, it has a smooth inner surface so debris doesn’t catch as easily and the vacuum shop carried it in 50’ (or maybe it was 100’) lengths so you can cut your own custom lengths. If you want to see a picture, do a search for triton router hose and click on the Lumberjocks link.
I too would be interested to see how well the two adapters work since it appears they screw on rather than just push on (friction fit).

Be well,
Ben
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I have two of the Triton routers. I keep the 3.25hp one in my router table and my 2.25hp one went to a relative's house a year or mor ago. I'd love to see a review of this. Dust collection below the table on my router table isn't great and could be improved.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The kit arrived either Friday or Sat. but didn't have time until today to see what it was like. I had my small portable router table in storage so I had to go get it this morning and now have the table setup and ready for some routing.

At first I was a little disappointed, the hose had no intention of screwing into the router.... I had to loosen those attachment screws and then got it in place. It seems to be a nice tight fit and no way will it pull out unless you get really crazy and try to spin the router around your head by the hose.

The first time I attached the short hose to the router and then attempted to mount the router in the table. The hose was just too short so I pulled everything back apart and attached the longer hose. That worked fine.

I then went to assemble the other parts on the hose end. That also left a bad impression as the hose just didn't want to twist in. It would seem the fit was just too tight. Then I thought about putting something on the parts and see if that would help.

I have a can of Slipit that I keep for sticky drawers and the like. It is something I like to have on hand for a lot of sticky situations and this seemed to be a good time to test it out on the connectors and hose. It worked great! Twisted in just like that and changed my opinion on the hose system. I like it now!
20180806_141605_resized.jpg
20180806_141605_resized.jpg (168.51 KiB) Viewed 26304 times
I will be doing some routing over the next couple of days so that will of course be the ultimate test, how well does it work for it intended application.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Post project review, I'm a happy camper. This system is much better then what I had. The hose fit to the router and the ability to route it in the cabinet made a big difference. There was minimal dust in the cabinet, some but a lot less then I even expected.

I can't say if this would be better then what you now have but it is better then what I had. Now this is still pretty limited testing as the project was a tongue and groove operation only. Still that generates some waste and I feel pretty good about how well the system did with it.

I was wondering about the smaller hose to the fence but I should not have been it worked really well. So again it nice to be surprised in a good way.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:Post project review, I'm a happy camper. This system is much better then what I had. The hose fit to the router and the ability to route it in the cabinet made a big difference. There was minimal dust in the cabinet, some but a lot less then I even expected.

I can't say if this would be better then what you now have but it is better then what I had. Now this is still pretty limited testing as the project was a tongue and groove operation only. Still that generates some waste and I feel pretty good about how well the system did with it.

I was wondering about the smaller hose to the fence but I should not have been it worked really well. So again it nice to be surprised in a good way.

Ed
Sounds good, Ed, especially for $20. I never did get my shop-made 3-way hose coupler permanently mounted, and it doesn’t do a great job of retaining the 2-1/2” hoses. So tomorrow, I’m going to measure my installation. If the supplied hoses are long enough, I’ll order one up.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had to do some table routing yesterday without the fence. So when you take the fence off you end up with an open port, not that that is so different then when attached but I was thinking it would be nice to plug the port when not in use. This lead me to check a few places to see if they make a port cover or plug. I did find some that come with 3-way ports but I don't need that nor the price they charge for them.

Do I have to make my own or does someone know of a place to find a cover/plug for the 2-1/2/2-1/4 hose ends?

Ed
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Woodsmith has plans for a dust collector that uses the upper hose when you're not using the fence. See the tip archive,

https://www.woodsmithvideotips.com/tips

and under "Video Tip Categories", navigate to "router table" - "dust free routing" for a picture. You probably don't need the plan - the picture is pretty self-explanatory.
Smitho
Bronze Member

Post by Smitho »

Gonna check that out