Clinometer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Clinometer

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Most standards are +-1 degree if I recall some are better , I don't have a wixi so not sure on that one. once calibrated it should be dead on?

2 degrees off in a 90 deg miter is 88 deg ? if the angle finder is off another 2 degrees because it is out of level or plumb then the cuts are not going to match up ?

I was asked years ago by a student how did I know a bubble level was right, showed him how a water level worked and how to test the bubble level .
You must mean +-.1 °.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/#wr300type2
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:Most standards are +-1 degree if I recall some are better , I don't have a wixi so not sure on that one. once calibrated it should be dead on?

2 degrees off in a 90 deg miter is 88 deg ? if the angle finder is off another 2 degrees because it is out of level or plumb then the cuts are not going to match up ?

I was asked years ago by a student how did I know a bubble level was right, showed him how a water level worked and how to test the bubble level .
You must mean +-.1 °.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/#wr300type2
That says " ±0.2 ° " accuracy with repeatability of " ± 0.1° ".

I doubt the sensor in the phone is as good.(gut feel)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

In the interest of science and the common good, I just invested $0.99 in the Clinometer relative-angle software upgrade. Then I pulled out my Woodpeckers Polygauge SS, which has a specified accuracy of 0.008 degrees on each of it’s angles. (Yes, the decimal point is in the correct position). I used the included magnet, and stuck the Polygauge to my cast iron SS bandsaw table for the measurements.
37388714-D1ED-47AE-B201-2BA7EA872F2D.jpeg
37388714-D1ED-47AE-B201-2BA7EA872F2D.jpeg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
Using Clinometer on my $250 Motorola Moto G5 Plus smartphone, I did a relative-angle measurement of each angle on the Polygauge SS. And the results are (drum roll, please) ... every single measurement was accurate to within +/- 0.1 degrees. :cool:

Not bad at all, considering that each relative measurement is actually calculated from two independent gravity-vector measurements. Plus the edge of my smartphone case is textured rubber, and thus not perfectly flat. The entire experiment took about five minutes, including purchasing the software upgrade. Thanks again, Gene!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:In the interest of science and the common good, I just invested $0.99 in the Clinometer relative-angle software upgrade. Then I pulled out my Woodpeckers Polygauge SS, which has a specified accuracy of 0.008 degrees on each of it’s angles. (Yes, the decimal point is in the correct position). I used the included magnet, and stuck the Polygauge to my cast iron SS bandsaw table for the measurements.

37388714-D1ED-47AE-B201-2BA7EA872F2D.jpeg
Using Clinometer on my $250 Motorola Moto G5 Plus smartphone, I did a relative-angle measurement of each angle on the Polygauge SS. And the results are (drum roll, please) ... every single measurement was accurate to within +/- 0.1 degrees. :cool:

Not bad at all, considering that each relative measurement is actually calculated from two independent gravity-vector measurements. Plus the edge of my smartphone case is textured rubber, and thus not perfectly flat. The entire experiment took about five minutes, including purchasing the software upgrade. Thanks again, Gene!
I am very surprised/amazed at that!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange