I'm getting a Shopsmith tomorrow

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jct
Silver Member

Re: I'm getting a Shopsmith tomorrow

Post by jct »

Here are a couple of excerpts from the Magna Shopsmith Brochure/Catalog dated February 1952.
BasicMotor.JPG
BasicMotor.JPG (45.14 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
SpecialMotor.JPG
SpecialMotor.JPG (14.21 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
And here is the tag on my motor.
MotorTag.JPG
MotorTag.JPG (86.68 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
It seems likely to me that Magna sold motors for the Shopsmith that were manufactured for them by A. O. Smith, and that the motor on my 10ER was one of them.
Jim
10ER S/N 86645 ('52 or '53) with 3/4 h.p. A.O. Smith motor
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I had to replace the motor in my 4 year old hot tub last year. Ironically, it was an A.O. Smith motor. I guess they don't make them like they used to.
jct
Silver Member

Post by jct »

I just saw this A. O. Smith ad from 1949 on shopsmithusergroup.com
I had to crop it to upload it to this forum. Here is a link to the original: http://shopsmithusergroup.com/wp-conten ... -ER_Ad.jpg

"Typical of the problems A. O. Smith has solved in engineering electric motors to fit product requirements is the special "Shopsmith" design developed for Magna Engineering Corp."
Magna_Shopsmith_10-ER_Ad_small.JPG
Magna_Shopsmith_10-ER_Ad_small.JPG (362.42 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
Jim
10ER S/N 86645 ('52 or '53) with 3/4 h.p. A.O. Smith motor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A.O.Smith was a different company back then. The brand has passed into other hands.

"A.O.Smith "no longer makes motors.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jct wrote:I just saw this A. O. Smith ad from 1949 on shopsmithusergroup.com
I had to crop it to upload it to this forum. Here is a link to the original: http://shopsmithusergroup.com/wp-conten ... -ER_Ad.jpg

"Typical of the problems A. O. Smith has solved in engineering electric motors to fit product requirements is the special "Shopsmith" design developed for Magna Engineering Corp."
Again, not to belabor the point, Magna did not sell the 10ER with a motor. If you bought a 10ER you did not get a motor. It was up to you to buy the motor. A.O. Smith built a motor designed for the 10ER probably at Magna's request but Magna did not sell the 10ER with a motor.

As the ad in your previous post says, $189.50 less motor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

jsburger wrote:
jct wrote:I just saw this A. O. Smith ad from 1949 on shopsmithusergroup.com

Again, not to belabor the point, Magna did not sell the 10ER with a motor. If you bought a 10ER you did not get a motor. It was up to you to buy the motor. A.O. Smith built a motor designed for the 10ER probably at Magna's request but Magna did not sell the 10ER with a motor.

As the ad in your previous post says, $189.50 less motor.
If you bought it from Montgomery Ward, at least, you could buy a model that included a motor. Check out the ad in the link below.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/338/2746.pdf

84 WCP 3470F: No motor, $169.50
84 WCP 3471F: With 1/2 hp motor, $199.50