Mini split advice..UPDATE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Mini split advice

Post by Hobbyman2 »

jsburger wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:Not sure if this makes a difference in your opinion of the systems and becoming out dated soon , I just read a article in the second quarter section 2018 copy of HVAC insider where there is now a direct drop in refrigerant R 421a for R 22 systems , this should make all older equipment once again current with any epa regs . the article is in the lower right hand corner https://en.calameo.com/read/0042361216fff179f8216
So does that mean I can get the AC in my 93 Ford F250 charged with no modification.
===============

The only mod to your old ford would be changing the compressor oil and filter screen in the accumulator and new O rings in all the fittings then the 134a will be a drop in ,it is much cheaper then R12 that was out lawed long ago. last time I checked ,, many years ago ,,,R12 was over 400.00 for a 15 lbs jug and a license was required to buy it ,,,changed dads old ford over a few years ago to 134a, 134a isnt as cold as the old stuff but its still works . until your system goes down dont mess with it lol .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

jsburger wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:Not sure if this makes a difference in your opinion of the systems and becoming out dated soon , I just read a article in the second quarter section 2018 copy of HVAC insider where there is now a direct drop in refrigerant R 421a for R 22 systems , this should make all older equipment once again current with any epa regs . the article is in the lower right hand corner https://en.calameo.com/read/0042361216fff179f8216
So does that mean I can get the AC in my 93 Ford F250 charged with no modification.
Actually there is no upgrade or modification to change your truck from R12. Flush the system, install a new drier, and refill with synthetic oil instead of mineral , draw a vacuum and add the coolant.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Ed it is called a retrofit kit ,IMO it is not a upgrade by no means ,,,it has all ways been my experience to follow the manufacture directions and to change the O rings in the fittings , and the screen in the accumulator , its all in the retro kit with the ester oil and the new hose fittings and caps .pulling a vacuum is a given .if you dont replace the o rings you will be plagued with trouble and leaks , you can tell by looking at the screen in the accumulator if the accumulator should be replaced .many do not .ya may even need to drain the condenser coil of oil , depends on who worked on it in the past. also depends on how many times it had leak stop or oil added to the system.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Ed it is called a retrofit kit ,IMO it is not a upgrade by no means ,,,it has all ways been my experience to follow the manufacture directions and to change the O rings in the fittings , and the screen in the accumulator , its all in the retro kit with the ester oil and the new hose fittings and caps .pulling a vacuum is a given .if you dont replace the o rings you will be plagued with trouble and leaks , you can tell by looking at the screen in the accumulator if the accumulator should be replaced .many do not .ya may even need to drain the condenser coil of oil , depends on who worked on it in the past. also depends on how many times it had leak stop or oil added to the system.
That is pretty much what I was told and to the tune of almost $1000. Not worth it since we only drive it locally 5 or 6 times a year. It only has 155K miles on it and has always been kept inside so I don't want to get rid of it since it comes in handy when we need it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

John I havent bought a kit in a few years now , the last one was under $50 it took close to 6 hrs to complete , had to replace a hose and drain the condenser .the new oil comes in the kit and is measured to specs , other then the pulling down the system into a vacuum any one with mechanical knowledge can do it , then take it to some one to vacuum it down, you can even recharge it , you might get it done for less then $300 by doing it your self ,depending on the hoses, they cost a fortune now ,, if you know a HVAC tec with a vacuum pump . I still have a license to reclaim refrigerant but havent been in the business for many years .
GoNavy
Gold Member

Re: Mini split advice..UPDATE

Post by GoNavy »

Well all said and done now, cost just over $4200 didn't get the 10% but did get the 5% and 12 month no finance charge, which works out about right since the 5% is on the entire amount and the 10% would have been on the cost of the unit only, (about half the total) no labor etc..of course had to file a complaint with the AG office to get it..funny how they didn't want to give me any discount until I filed a complaint..lol...then I get a call two days later offering all these discounts...the 10% is a non starter, they didn't budge off of that, it is "In Store only" end of story, but the other stuff mysteriously popped up and they gave me a $200 gift card for my troubles, saying it was for customer appreciation ...ya ok. So ended up OK I guess. A few pics, decided I didn't want to give up any peg board space if we did the standard center of the wall install, so I built a caddie corner mounting wall for the shop side and the garage side piping it straight out the wall gravity feeding the drains. Both units are opposite each other, couldn't believe it when the installer said he had never seen it done this way...Whattt...why not..lol...I kinda over engineer these caddie wall...pretty sure I can hang an engine block off these walls...lmao...22 Lbs AC unit, not a problem. Looks much better and I think air flow is better, didn't lose any peg board space and so since I now need to close off the shop from the garage, because frankly will very seldom ever use the garage side, I put in a barn door slider in the door way, no choice, because my DC is there couldn't close the door anymore, never was problem before..lol..door hadn't been closed in ...oh never...lol...

LUV this system, temps have been in the high 90's and sitting in my shop 75 degrees not even working hard...gotta love that...hoping the heat will work as well this winter
Attachments
.<br />.
smallshopAC.jpg (104.32 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
You can see where I moved stuff off the peg board in prep for the regular install..would have used up half my peg board, and the shop side was even worst...didn't like that, this is a better solution<br />..
You can see where I moved stuff off the peg board in prep for the regular install..would have used up half my peg board, and the shop side was even worst...didn't like that, this is a better solution
smallgarageAC.jpg (119.74 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Shopslidingdoor.jpg
Shopslidingdoor.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 5291 times