Laying in my truck bed...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Laying in my truck bed...

Post by thunderbirdbat »

A $50 SS was just too good a deal to pass up even with the amount of work needed to get it operational again. There is a lot of things missing from this unit but it does have the main table, carriage, fence, shaper arbor, shaper fence and mortising attachment. The vent cover is missing so no idea about serial number but the speed control handle (missing the set screw) is in the box of stuff that came with it. I have wanted to get a unit to make a shorty out of for a while now and at this price, I am not worried about the missing accessories. With all the rain, the guys that loaded it in my truck laid it down so the bed cover could go over it. Now I just need to be able to get it out of the truck.
Attachments
picture from the ad
picture from the ad
00U0U_kyq1HWZ51K5_600x450.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
20180622_102958_opt.jpg
20180622_102958_opt.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Laying in my truck bed...

Post by Gene Howe »

Great find.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Early "A" casting(8 belt cover screws).

It is a bit different from a MarkV.

Future access to the control sheave for lubrication will be frustrating :)

I agree with Gene!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It's not hopeless but you do have some work ahead. I restored a Greenie in similar condition and it came out looking and running great. I did have to replace the quill on it since the rusting had caused some pitting. There were other parts that had to be replaced but the motor and sheaves were all good.

JPG said
Early "A" casting(8 belt cover screws).
Good catch JPG, I was looking at the headstock to try to date it since it does not have the Serial Number/Vent Plate. So it really was 8 screws, than 6 than 2. With those 8 screws it makes it an early Mark 5 than.

Thunderbirdbat,
Just want to confirm that it has the high speed lock on the speed dial (I could not see if it has it or not from the angle of the picture) and no rear access hole under the rear logo plate.

This is what mine looked like when I went to pick it up.
00Q0Q_d5hCK5GdbMz_1200x900.jpg
00Q0Q_d5hCK5GdbMz_1200x900.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 7955 times
This is what it looked like when I finished it
IMG_0220r.jpg
IMG_0220r.jpg (238.59 KiB) Viewed 7955 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I know that it will be a lot of work. I mainly want this unit to run some SPTs and as a sanding station although I may also occasionally use it for a drill press. It should not take long to do the base, tubes, table, carriage and headstock casting. The most time consuming part will probably be the headstock. I kept everything from my original 510 headstock when I upgraded to the PP last year, so I am considering just using that to replace almost everything in the headstock to get a working unit then take my time repairing everything. I also still need to see which size bench tubes this unit has. I do not want to cut the heavier bench tubes to make a shorty.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thunderbirdbat wrote:I know that it will be a lot of work. I mainly want this unit to run some SPTs and as a sanding station although I may also occasionally use it for a drill press. It should not take long to do the base, tubes, table, carriage and headstock casting. The most time consuming part will probably be the headstock. I kept everything from my original 510 headstock when I upgraded to the PP last year, so I am considering just using that to replace almost everything in the headstock to get a working unit then take my time repairing everything. I also still need to see which size bench tubes this unit has. I do not want to cut the heavier bench tubes to make a shorty.
It was the Model 10 that had the heavier tubes.

The Greenie does have 1 7/8" bench tubes rather than the current 1 3/4". The way tubes are the same as current(1 3/4").

The bench tubes were merely painted on both the Greenies and the Goldies which is why they typically become rusted.

There is no doubt in my mind as to the existence of the interlock plate in the depression directly above the speed control dial. It will have an arrowhead stamped on it. It MUST be depressed to increase the speed above Saw-Joint.(assuming it has not been removed by a PO)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

thunderbirdbat wrote:I know that it will be a lot of work. I mainly want this unit to run some SPTs and as a sanding station although I may also occasionally use it for a drill press. It should not take long to do the base, tubes, table, carriage and headstock casting. The most time consuming part will probably be the headstock. I kept everything from my original 510 headstock when I upgraded to the PP last year, so I am considering just using that to replace almost everything in the headstock to get a working unit then take my time repairing everything. I also still need to see which size bench tubes this unit has. I do not want to cut the heavier bench tubes to make a shorty.
Not to worry about the bench tubes, the change to thinner walls was made while they were still making 10ER's, the Greenies have bench tubes that have a larger OD than the way tubes but I don't believe they have thicker walls.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Brenda,
I would really hesitate cutting the 1-7/8" Bench tubes to make a shorty. There are only so many around and no longer made like the 1-3/4" bench tubes. You could get the 1-3/4" Bench Tubes and use your old Base and Headrest left over from your Double tilt upgrade if you still have them. The bench tubes in the picture I posted had painted tubes but when I cleaned them up they looked so good I decided not to paint them.

You could use the Headstock parts left over from your 1998 Mark V permanently unless you want to have the Headstock original. Even keeping it original you may wish to consider adding the access hole behind the rear logo plate. It does require a "B" headstock cover plate and cutting out the hole leaving just the tabs around the holes for the pins. There was something that came out, way back, on how to do it but I can't find it right now. It is something I have in print or digital. It was a fairly simple fix to not having the access hole but a bit of work. First mark the circle opening between the two pin holes than drill just inside the circle all the way around leaving space for tabs on either side of the pin holes to hold the pins on the "B" cover. After removing the bulk of the material for the hole file down the remaining metal to round the hole to the edge of the circle but leaving the pin tabs. Sorry I do not remember the diameter of the "B" headstock cut-out and I only have "C" headstocks at this time. The arrows on the "B" headstock picture below show how the tabs should look.
Headstock B back tabs.jpg
Headstock B back tabs.jpg (192.04 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Brenda,
Have you got inside the headstock yet? Everett was looking for information on the early "Greenie" Drive Sleeves without a clutch as seen in the diagram below. See part B2809.
IMG_1121r.jpg
IMG_1121r.jpg (284.11 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
If yours is like this it would be great to see some pictures of the Drive Sleeve. If your drive pulley is solid and attaches to the shaft with a set screw your "Greenie" is one of the early ones from 1954. It wasn't very long before they added the clutch to the drive sleeve. Probably got a few complaints about broken belts. I just sent Everett a JPG copy of the first Mark 5 Manual about an hour ago. I do not know how soon he will have it available.
Russ

Mark V 520
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I am trying to finish two of the three other projects that are at various completion stages in the shop before I start disassembly. I will look at it and take pictures when I get to that point.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router