Flag Day USA

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Flag Day USA

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:
jsburger wrote:Mine used to fly all the time but a while back the rope broke after 20+ years of use and I have to figure out how to get to the top of the 30' pole to install a new one.
See if you can retrofit your pole to one like the one in the Captain America Movie - see clip at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ag0PtH3g-s

Everett
That probably could be done.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I once made a simple flag pole that served well for about 10 years until we sold that house. I don't know if it is still in service or not.
I dug a post hole about 3' deep and sat a piece of 1' galvanized iron pipe in it in concrete so that it was about chest high (and threaded). I mounted a common 1" galvanized union to it. I then made an upper section composed of a piece of 3/4" galvanized iron pipe with the top half of the union with a 1" x 3/4" bushing in it and a pipe cap for the top with a hole in its center where I bolted the top pulley. I put the union together with a little grease on all contacting surfaces for later ease of disassembly. I re-roped it several times over the years which was a 5 minute job. Just break the union apart with a couple of wrenches, set the top section down and re-rope it. Back up with a touch of new grease and done. This wasn't a huge pole at about 20' total but it worked well.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

There are a number of manufacturers out there who make tilting poles.

I found at least one who makes a base that you could weld the pole into if it's size works. There are likely others.

https://www.flagpolewarehouse.com/Eder_ ... _Shoe_Base

Everett
TiltingShoeBase.png
TiltingShoeBase.png (719.64 KiB) Viewed 2896 times