phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Base Arm Removal From Base

#249290 by judebak » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Base Arm Removal From Base

#249292 by JPG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:50 pm

judebak wrote:Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.


IF it is the older version that has a hinge pin, the hinge pin is secured by a roll pin that must be driven INTO the base(there is a cavity that will allow that) then the hinge pin can be removed. Do not cause the roll pin to become 'fatter'. A blunt end pin punch is needed.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Base Arm Removal From Base

#249293 by judebak » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm

JPG wrote:
judebak wrote:Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.


IF it is the older version that has a hinge pin, the hinge pin is secured by a roll pin that must be driven INTO the base(there is a cavity that will allow that) then the hinge pin can be removed. Do not cause the roll pin to become 'fatter'. A blunt end pin punch is needed.


I am sorry, I should have said that it is a model 500. I have seen the cavity and thought that it might be a set screw, but upon closer inspection I could see right through to the other side. I will have to purchase a blunt end pin punch. Thank you for your help.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Base Arm Removal From Base

#249295 by JPG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm

judebak wrote:
JPG wrote:
judebak wrote:Can the base arm be removed from the base? I have a crack in the base and would like to get it welded but need the base arm removed to do it. If it can be removed what is the process? Thanks.


IF it is the older version that has a hinge pin, the hinge pin is secured by a roll pin that must be driven INTO the base(there is a cavity that will allow that) then the hinge pin can be removed. Do not cause the roll pin to become 'fatter'. A blunt end pin punch is needed.


I am sorry, I should have said that it is a model 500. I have seen the cavity and thought that it might be a set screw, but upon closer inspection I could see right through to the other side. I will have to purchase a blunt end pin punch. Thank you for your help.


Get the correct size(1/8"?).

A square cut off nail of the correct size may work. Use penetrating oil.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], thunderbirdbat and 28 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information about the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

First Name: Last Name:
Address:
Optional Extra Address Line:

City: ST: Zip:


Email:
Re-Enter Email Address:
Phone: ( ) -

NO - I do not yet own a MARK 7 or Mark V
YES - I own a MARK 7 or Mark V

Submit