Just got my first Shopsmith had a couple questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

APerna1985
Silver Member

Just got my first Shopsmith had a couple questions

Post by APerna1985 »

HI everyone,
I just got my first Shopsmith. It's a Mark V serial number 279729, it looks to have come with most of the attachments, but I'm starting out so I'm not 100%. My first question is, is there any upgrades that I should do to make it more accurate, easier to use, and more reliable? I haven't actually run the machine yet and it looks fairly simple to use online but I'm sure something this old has some worthwhile upgrade's available. I don't know which table I have with it if it's a 500 510 or 520. Also I haven't used any real woodworking equipment since high school but I was great at it back then. I just bought my first house and it's an old craftsman home from 1918 the windows are made of Chestnut and the bottom of the window frame that slides up and down is rotted and the tongue-and-groove is starting to separate. I want to make the bottom part of the window on the shopsmith what equipment would I need?
lyall
Gold Member

Re: Just got my first Shopsmith had a couple questions

Post by lyall »

first welcome to the forums
Have you look over the forums? a lot of answers are there if you have the time to look.
here is a link that should help you answer a lot of your questions.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t5092.html

pictures of your shopsmith and accessories with help other to know what you have and will help them to answer any questions you have.

good luck and have fun learning
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pictures help us help you. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Before you consider buying anything else, read the manuals and start using the Shopsmith you already have. Once you use it, you will find out if you need any additional tools.
Hands on work is worth 1000 times as much as talking about using tools.
You likely already have what you need to work on your windows.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You might want to start with what information is available on the Shopsmith web site.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm

Based on the serial number provided, you have an early version (1954) Shopsmith. This means it is a Mark 5 Model 500.

A bit more info here:

http://shopsmith.com/mark7site/specifications_3.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If a "Mark 5" then "500" is irrelevant although a Mark 5 and a Mark V 500 are essentially the same. However there were different versions of Mark 5's. The major differences were the drive system and colors.

Yours is a Mark 5 Greenie with a Gilmer drive belt. It can be converted to the newer Poly-v drive, although it is quite expensive to do that and not likely necessary unless problems occur. Just be aware it can be done(as well as upgrading to the new Power-Pro motor...).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

if it is from the 80's you might get a set of calipers and check for accuracy on the shaft. they make a upgrade to turn the quill into a double bearing quill that works on the v-belt units.

as far as tables go the 510 and newer tables have the options to expand in size rather easily.
Not sure what attachments you have but when you upgrade some of them may not work with the newer tables . one is the hold down for the mortise tool. others are the fence dust and saw guards for the table saw and the saw arbors are different in length .
have fun ! these things are addicting .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
APerna1985
Silver Member

Post by APerna1985 »

It is a "Greenie" so its a 1954 as far as I know. Would I benefit from installing the double bearing quill? Its amazing how much info is on this site but right now I just dont know enough to make decisions. Do we have a copy of the 1954 Manual so I can read up on my Shopsmith? Also if I buy a 510 table can I just swap mine out? I think I found one cheap. I see the kit from Shopsmith is a couple grand. I took pictures but unfortunately they're too big to fit on the forum. Does anyone know of a good picture hosting site? Ever since photo bucket closed I dont know of a good one.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

APerna1985 wrote:It is a "Greenie" so its a 1954 as far as I know. Would I benefit from installing the double bearing quill? Its amazing how much info is on this site but right now I just dont know enough to make decisions. Do we have a copy of the 1954 Manual so I can read up on my Shopsmith? Also if I buy a 510 table can I just swap mine out? I think I found one cheap. I see the kit from Shopsmith is a couple grand. I took pictures but unfortunately they're too big to fit on the forum. Does anyone know of a good picture hosting site? Ever since photo bucket closed I dont know of a good one.
Upgrading the quill is a personal preference depending on what you use the machine for and how much run out your quill has.

No you can not just swap out your table with a 510 table. The carriage assembly is a different size to accommodate the longer tie bar and tube distance. The fence would also need to be replaced as your current fence would be too short. There are also different lengths for the saw blade arbors between the two models. I have seen upgrade kits for sale on both e-bay and craig's list in the past. Here is a link to the one currently on e-bay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Mk-V ... SwshJa-dau

Resizing the photos and posting them here is the preferred. That way in the future they are always available,
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

APerna1985 wrote:It is a "Greenie" so its a 1954 as far as I know. Would I benefit from installing the double bearing quill?

Don't buy the quill from SS. It won't fit your 500.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob