Power pro problems and no response from SS

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Re: Power pro problems and no response from SS

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

wa2crk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:57 am I had a couple of set work loose in the past. What I did is put a small amount of RTV on the threads of the set screw and let it cure. Then re-install the screw, the RTV will hold the set screw ok and you can loosen the set screw several times before renewing the RTV.
I think that the rapid switching of the motor causes a vibration that is not apparent to the user but may be causing the set screws to loosen.
Bill V
That's exactly right. It's when it switches between under and over speed and it's the frequency of compensation that causes the issue.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

wurlitzerwilly wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:54 pm I had this problem many years ago, with the bandsaw coupler. I tried Loctite and a new coupler, but still that sucker came loose!
I remember you from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=9002
Link to thread on just the adjustments: viewtopic.php?p=129087#p129087
Link to thread about other PowerPro issues: viewtopic.php?p=111615#p111615

The software adjustments are shown there. I think there was some warning not to make those changes as well. I have to review the whole thread now. I have a 2nd PowerPro now with older software than my first one so I'm a little more comfortable adjusting those settings. I do plan to examine all the settings for differences between the the two machines but I don't know if there are additional software changes that are not simply settings and also to contact Shopsmith and see if they have any info. They just added the PowerPro headstock diagram and parts list to the service parts table, perhaps more info will be forthcoming.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I recall an admonishment from "SS Engineer"(presumably Jim McCann) to not do those changes unless personally instructed to do so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

The instructions in those links are not the same as the ones I was given.
As the cat's already out of the bag, I see no harm in relating my instructions, but I would stress that if anyone has issues doing this, I accept no responsibility and in fact I advise not to do it.

From switch on:
Press LOCK + 9500
Press 2000
Press 900 3 times
Press 1350 twice
Press 2000
= 3210
Press CONFIRM to accept
Check CUR LIM = 100
Step via UP/DOWN buttons
TRQRMP = 1000
SPDRMP = 725-1
Set to 730
Press CONFIRM
Check IRGAIN = 28835
RROFFSET = 82
Set to 92
Press CONFIRM
Press OFF

It also needs to be borne in mind that these instructions were issued fairly soon after the 1st PowerPro issue, so it's only for the original software.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm having the banging problem with this older Shopsmith. Time to contact them and see if they offer any useful help. If they can't tell me anything else I'm going to check those settings to see if they've been changed at all. If I run out of options I'll try the changes. I'm very interested to see if the software can be updated somehow. Even if it requires a new keypad it's still not a very costly fix.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

edma194 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:32 pm I'm having the banging problem with this older Shopsmith. Time to contact them and see if they offer any useful help. If they can't tell me anything else I'm going to check those settings to see if they've been changed at all. If I run out of options I'll try the changes. I'm very interested to see if the software can be updated somehow. Even if it requires a new keypad it's still not a very costly fix.
I did not have any audible banging when I was given those settings, so they may not apply to you. All I had was set screws coming loose. Those settings cured that. They're very small changes and as long as you don't disturb anything else, I doubt they'd do any harm for you, but they may not afford a fix for your issues.

I suspect that the reason they didn't want them published is because of the initial codes allowing access to the software. Some people will tweak anything to find out what it does and that's not only stupid, it's dangerous, so I agree with their concern.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

wurlitzerwilly wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:45 pm
I did not have any audible banging when I was given those settings, so they may not apply to you. All I had was set screws coming loose. Those settings cured that. They're very small changes and as long as you don't disturb anything else, I doubt they'd do any harm for you, but they may not afford a fix for your issues.

I suspect that the reason they didn't want them published is because of the initial codes allowing access to the software. Some people will tweak anything to find out what it does and that's not only stupid, it's dangerous, so I agree with their concern.
I'm following up in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=28812

There was another issue to cover, maybe more to come.
Ed from Rhode Island