My sawmill is suddenly going to be very busy this year.

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: My sawmill is suddenly going to be very busy this year.

Post by robinson46176 »

I've been making some progress but not like I would like. Some of you might have noticed that it's been pretty hot. :rolleyes: :D :D I slow down when it gets above the low 90's.
Mowing grass, working on horse fence (it never stops).
The buzz-saw I normally use was stored at a set of barns down the road and I got it moved up to "The Mill" so I can get it sat up properly to buzz up slabwood. I normally run it with a 90' flat belt and one or the other of my old tractors. Someone had removed the blade guard (very common on these things) and I want to fabricate a new one. They are kind of limited protection but better than nothing.
I have a "saw" I need to move there too. It was originally a multi-function tool that I think was sold by Wards. It has a table saw, a wide jointer and a grinder as it sits and at one time it also had a fair sized bandsaw. The bandsaw was already gone when I got it. It is currently sat up to run from a tractor PTO shaft and was last used by the previous owner to cut tobacco stakes and lumber stacking stickers. The saw, grinder and jointer shaft is the width of the machine and is always in the same place and the table cranks up and down for cutting depth. There is no provision for tipping the arbor nor the table either one. The bandsaw table might have been able to tip. The jointer head needs some work but nothing serious. It's kind of a cool old antique.
I'll look for a picture. If I don't find one I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow.

Last edited by robinson46176 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have an old saw that has a tilting FENCE!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Here are a few pics of the combo machine I talked about above.
JPG, note that this one also has a tilting fence like you mentioned.
The "rock" sitting on top is a segment of a French grist-mill stone wheel out of the grist-mill and sawmill my paternal great grandfather owned.
Sawmill - Combo machine 1.jpg
Sawmill - Combo machine 1.jpg (142.19 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
Sawmill - Combo machine 2.jpg
Sawmill - Combo machine 2.jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
Sawmill - Combo machine 3.jpg
Sawmill - Combo machine 3.jpg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
I want to refurbish this machine as a rip-saw / jointer. The remains of the bandsaw will likely just go. The heavy grinding wheel will be removed. I don't need a big old open grinding wheel blowing apart. :eek:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:Here are a few pics of the combo machine I talked about above.
JPG, note that this one also has a tilting fence like you mentioned.
The "rock" sitting on top is a segment of a French grist-mill stone wheel out of the grist-mill and sawmill my paternal great grandfather owned.

$matches[2]

$matches[2]

Sawmill - Combo machine 3.jpg

I want to refurbish this machine as a rip-saw / jointer. The remains of the bandsaw will likely just go. The heavy grinding wheel will be removed. I don't need a big old open grinding wheel blowing apart. :eek:

Whatcha gonna use as a fly wheel then??? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have had this sitting out in front of the farm shop (lawn art) along with some steel wheels, an old steel wheel push cart and a pair of large rocks.
The starting point on this will be moving it out behind the shop, where I do a lot of outside work in the shade, and pressure wash it good. That will take the lichen off of it. Then a quick media blasting, maybe ground walnut shells. Next will be paint. I haven't decided on color yet but I am considering Woodmizer orange. Note: My spell check just thought "Woodmizer" should be "womanizer"... :rolleyes: :)
It has a few small of pieces of wood involved including a pair of supports for a pivoting belt idler and the saw blade insert.
I expect to power this unit with a 3 HP 220V electric motor.
While it looks a little rough it doesn't really need all that much work. It should be a fun little project.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:I have had this sitting out in front of the farm shop (lawn art) along with some steel wheels, an old steel wheel push cart and a pair of large rocks.
The starting point on this will be moving it out behind the shop, where I do a lot of outside work in the shade, and pressure wash it good. That will take the lichen off of it. Then a quick media blasting, maybe ground walnut shells. Next will be paint. I haven't decided on color yet but I am considering Woodmizer orange. Note: My spell check just thought "Woodmizer" should be "womanizer"... :rolleyes: :)
It has a few small of pieces of wood involved including a pair of supports for a pivoting belt idler and the saw blade insert.
I expect to power this unit with a 3 HP 220V electric motor.
While it looks a little rough it doesn't really need all that much work. It should be a fun little project.

Actually to me it appears to be in very good condition and reasonably possible to return it to useful life. (all things considered! :D )

Gotta live those grease fitted(zerk?) pillow blocks!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote:Actually to me it appears to be in very good condition and reasonably possible to return it to useful life. (all things considered! :D )

Gotta live those grease fitted(zerk?) pillow blocks!

I bought this machine some years ago not all that far from you. It was at Somerset KY.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson