new owner with missing parts

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

f1ipf10p1
Bronze Member

new owner with missing parts

Post by f1ipf10p1 »

first let me introduce myself, I'm Doug. I'm a Chief Quartermaster in the US Navy, currently stationed on board USS Normandy CG60. Before I deployed a couple months back, my brother convinced me to buy a Shopsmith (he's been trying to convert me to electrical tools for the last ten years, lol). so after looking around I found what I thought was a good one and I still do for certain reasons but went back and forth about returning it to the seller when they told me that the box with all the attachments was gone. so I ended up with a stand and a head unit. what made me keep it was, it also came with the jointer, band saw and planer attachments. I ain't gonna say what I paid for it, cause a lot of yall aint gonna like me if I do, ha ha, but I will say it was just a little bit more expensive than the band saw.

Now that that parts over with here's my thing. while I'm deployed I am buying the missing parts. and when I say missing parts, I mean everything. I got no way of attaching anything to anything, except I do have the chuck for the drill press / horizontal bore. any advice on what I should buy first? I bought the saw blade arbor and the fence already, figured you couldn't do anything if the wood wasn't cut down first. I was thinking the upper and lower guards next just for safety reasons. after that no clue. thanks for the help.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: new owner with missing parts

Post by algale »

Welcome to the Forum. It would be helpful to know exactly what model Shopsmith you have. Some of the arbors/saw guards need to be matched to the model to function together as intended. Ebay is your friend. So is Craigslist.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

f1ipf10p1
Bronze Member

Post by f1ipf10p1 »

I want to say it is a 510. everything I researched points to that.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"stand/head"

Tables(main/aux/floating) there?
Connecting tubes etc.?
Lathe tool rest?
Lathe tail stock?
Lathe centers

If you got a fence, I hope it is for a 510

Thank You for your service!!!

P.S. We here do not hate anyone for them getting a good deal!!! We celebrate their good fortune. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Doug,
You think it is a 510 so we are talking a Mark V. That being said it is important to confirm which table system it has, a 510, 520 or the original 500. It is the Table Systems that are different between the Mark V models. As said already there are parts & accessories that are specific to certain Table Systems and we can help you with that later. Below is the original Table System now know as the 500. The extra slot near the edge was only done for a few years. Most Mark V 500's do not have that extra slot.
mark V 500 table views 2.jpg
mark V 500 table views 2.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 25331 times
Below is the one you said you believe you have. Note the fence tubes and table inserts as you compare them.
mark V 505 510 table views.jpg
mark V 505 510 table views.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 25331 times
Below is the 520 Table System and is also the table for the Mark 7.
mark 7 mark V 520 table views.jpg
mark 7 mark V 520 table views.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 25331 times
Which is your Table System? The 510 and 520 Table Systems use a different upper & lower blade guard system than any of the guard systems made for the 500 model. It is the Blade Guard of the 510 & 520 that requires different Arbors, gennerally longer, than the 500 needs.

As was already said we all love a great deal and really like to see pictures of Shopsmiths. They are especially helpful identifying which parts you may need. Getting manuals for all the tools you now have will be very helpful. Check the Maintenance and Repair section here on the forum for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings Illustrations and More by Everett Davis for some information on your Shopsmith tools. He is one of our best Shopsmith Historians who is preserving and restoring documents and manuals about these tools. Shopsmith sells manuals for the Mark V's and the SPT's although they are mostly for the current models.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sorry for harping, but ALL Mark 5's had the second slot.(At least until SS Inc. made new dies).

Also the Mark 5's were 9 inch saws.

P.S/ Excellent pix as an id guide.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG wrote,
Sorry for harping, but ALL Mark 5's had the second slot.(At least until SS Inc. made new dies).
I have restored two Greenie Mark 5's (1956 & 1957) and a Goldie Mark 5 (Oct. 1960), none of which has a second slot. I believe the second slot started in the 1960's which was a feature of the original Mark VII.

JPG,
I know your Goldie was made after 1961. Does it have the second slot?

You are correct that the original Mark 5's used a 9" blade and that size was limited by the lower saw guard shown below.
Greenie first lower blade guard 1.jpg
Greenie first lower blade guard 1.jpg (141.32 KiB) Viewed 25262 times
Doug,
Sorry we wander a little off topic sometimes but it is through sharing information we all learn more about these wonderful machines.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

JPG wrote:Sorry for harping, but ALL Mark 5's had the second slot.(At least until SS Inc. made new dies).

Sorry mine does not 1955 Greenie here.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:JPG wrote,
I have restored two Greenie Mark 5's (1956 & 1957) and a Goldie Mark 5 (Oct. 1960), none of which has a second slot. I believe the second slot started in the 1960's which was a feature of the original Mark VII.

JPG,
I know your Goldie was made after 1961. Does it have the second slot?

You are correct that the original Mark 5's used a 9" blade and that size was limited by the lower saw guard shown below.

Greenie first lower blade guard 1.jpg

Doug,
Sorry we wander a little off topic sometimes but it is through sharing information we all learn more about these wonderful machines.
When we wander, we often learn. So I looked at my greenie table and gee it does NOT have the second slot. :o Another goldie table from a trash pile has the second slot. Yes my 'OEM' goldie has the second slot.

I have not done much(anything) with the greenie table, so I had not noticed 'no second slot'.

I have not checked, but I suspect the MVII second slot is larger than the M5 second slot since the MVII is 10". I can vouch for a 10" blade in a Mark 5 goldie second slot being susceptable to 'milling' the table itself. :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG
I have not checked, but I suspect the MVII second slot is larger than the M5 second slot since the MVII is 10". I can vouch for a 10" blade in a Mark 5 goldie second slot being susceptable to 'milling' the table itself.
What is the length of the saw blade table insert slot and the extra slot. I am guessing here but can you lower the table father down using the extra slot than you can using the regular table insert slot since the table may not "bottom out" until it hits the arbor. The table hits the top of the headstock when using the table insert slot. I measured the one saw blade table insert I have for the 500 tables and it's opening is 10 1/2" long. It is an extra from restoring Mark 5/V's and I do not know when it was made.
Russ

Mark V 520