A New Shop in the Making

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: A New Shop in the Making

Post by dusty »

I have not given a lot of thought to physical arrangement but this is a block diagram of the available space with the Shopsmith items represented.

The car will not reside there but can be sheltered there. Missing are five metal wall cabinets (from Home Depot)and a rolling tool chest with bench tool (from Lowes).
New Shop with Shopsmith Items.png
New Shop with Shopsmith Items.png (307.11 KiB) Viewed 7333 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

dusty wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:One way to tell if the ducts are sealed is to light a scented candle in the garage and close it up ,turn the furnace to fan only, if you can smell the candle in the house then dust is sure to be a issue .the only way I know to seal the ducts are to tape them with foil tape on all the seams and around the furnace to duct work and filter connections JMO .
As near as I can tell, the central air system draws fresh air from within the house (a wall vent near the floor in the hallway) and disperses it through vents in the ceilings of each room. A kleenex is drawn tight against that hall wall vent when the ac is on.

There is a filter in the air handler. If the system is drawing sawdust from within the shop I would assume an inspection of that filter would reveal that. If it does, I am here to guarantee you that I will be told about it in no uncertain terms.

================

LOL FYI from one wood worker to another ,,it wont take you long to figure it out.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Dusty, what are the room dimensions?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mountainbreeze wrote:Dusty, what are the room dimensions?
The garage floor measures 194" x 223"

The raised area across the front of the garage measures 37" x 223"

The raised area is elevated about 4" and is something mandated by code. I think it was put there to give me something to either trip on or fall off of!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The4 shop will be painted today and tomorrow. There are five Craftsman wall cabinets setting in the garage ready to be hung. There is a 15 drawer Husky rolling tool chest scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. There is a Husky 58" rolling hardwood topped work bench (adjustable height) on order. The electrician is scheduled for 9:00am this morning to give me an estimate for ceiling lighting, six new outlets and all new weather proof outlet covers for all exterior receptacles.

The electrician will then be scheduled at his earliest availability.

I'm about to move in. FINALLY
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
artman60
Gold Member

Post by artman60 »

Congrats Dusty, I hope the remainder of the process goes smoothly.
The clock of life is wound but once.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Husky 15 Drawer Tool Chest that was expected yesterday did not arrive. There was some sort of issue with the documents required to get it out of stock and onto the delivery truck. That is suppose to have been resolved and I was told by the department manager that the chest would be delivered today. Sunday?? I'll not hold my breathe.

Other than that, the shop has been painted and the wall cabinets hung. Only time will tell if I now have them at an acceptable height. They are 55" above floor level. I think that will facilitate all but the belt sander (in vertical position) and the band saws (mounted on Power Stand). Those will have to be stored on the opposite side of the shop.

I can hardly wait for the day when I can call for the PODS to be delivered.
20180526_104654.jpg
20180526_104654.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 7072 times
The cabinets look good and for some applications they probably are good BUT I would not buy another one. If they are going to hand on a wall with studs on 24" center and if the first stud is properly located they might be great. Unfortunately, I was working on a wall will studs on 16" centers (sorta) and only a couple studs were located where I needed them.

This necessitated that I hang a 3/4" plywood backer board to which a attached the cabinets. With the backer board in place, we began to hang the cabinets. It was then that we became aware of just how flexible the cabinet sides and back were. To gain some stability in the cabinets it became necessary to drill our own holes and to locate them (in the back) as close as possible to the sides. Without doing that, they cabinets were not rigid enough to maintain level and plumb.

I don't know that any of the other cabinets on the market are any more rigid than these but I do know that I will not buy and would not not recommend these to anyone.

They look good. We'll see how I really feel later when I start loading them with some weight.

To compound my problems, I found that the wall to which I attached the backer board was not straight. Due to the hump in the wall, the backer board has a 1/2" gap between it and the wall at one end. Maybe I should have hung these on the opposite wall! :( :( :(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

One more item has arrived. This is the last item unit the POD arrives.
20180527_103050.jpg
20180527_103050.jpg (81.41 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
20180527_103106.jpg
20180527_103106.jpg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
The tool chest looks a lot bigger in the garage than it did at HomeDepot.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

You will have to get those pods delivered pretty soon or the shop will be full before your tools get in it... :)
Enjoy putting it all together. I would say "Don't over do it", but I suspect your wife has already covered that... :D :D :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:You will have to get those pods delivered pretty soon or the shop will be full before your tools get in it... :)
Enjoy putting it all together. I would say "Don't over do it", but I suspect your wife has already covered that... :D :D :D

Thanks for the warning, farmer, but I have already done that. Even though I had able bodied assistance to hang those cabinets, I over did it. I am sore today to show for it.

I get a forced rest period next week. The house will be over run by contractors all week. I recall how much I disliked having "close supervision" when I was contract labor. I now avoid managing those jobs that I pay to have done.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty