At Shopsmith in Dayton this week

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: At Shopsmith in Dayton this week

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
EliWalton wrote:Just to clarify and eliminate some continued parsing of my original post: I just had a couple of very broad points: (a) the original overall design (10E/10ER/Mark II/ V/VII/... et. al.) is museum-worthy and about 70 years old, and (b) the original Mark V (Mark V-500) table size looks better proportioned to me than the larger versions 510, 520, Mark 7).

I apologize if my passion got ahead of my writing accuracy. Thanks!

Ely
The Mark V-500 table is identical to a Mark 5 table. I consider the Mark 5 to be "the original".

I know, picky picky, but accurate.
There is nothing wrong with being accurate. Magna made the Mark 5 (numeric 5) starting in 1953. Later Magna American changed it to Mark V (Roman numeral) or was it Yuba. Anyhow both are completely different companies than Magna Engineering that first introduced the Mark 5.
Magna Engineering 10, 10E, Mark 5 Greenies

Magna 'something' Mark 5 Greenies.*

Yuba Power products Mark 5 Greenies, Mark 5 Goldies Gilmer drive and early poly-v/1 1/8 .

Magna American Mark 5 Goldies, Mark VII.

SS INC. Mark 5, Mark V 500,505,510,520, Matk 7.

As I remember/understand it.

*Ya it is incomplete.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Really great work you are doing Everette. The SS is a piece of Americana and preserving its history is important. Thanks for all the time and energy you are putting into this project. Does anyone know how many units have been sold overall ?
Paul
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
The Mark V-500 table is identical to a Mark 5 table. I consider the Mark 5 to be "the original".

I know, picky picky, but accurate.
There is nothing wrong with being accurate. Magna made the Mark 5 (numeric 5) starting in 1953. Later Magna American changed it to Mark V (Roman numeral) or was it Yuba. Anyhow both are completely different companies than Magna Engineering that first introduced the Mark 5.

Yuba Power products Mark 5 Greenies, Mark 5 Goldies Gilmer drive and early poly-v/1 1/8 .

SS INC. Mark 5, Mark V 500,505,510,520, Matk 7.

As I remember/understand it.

*Ya it is incomplete.
Magna American???
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG's listing is pretty much correct

SS INC. Mark 5, Mark V 500,505,510,520, Mark 7.
Magna "something" is actually Magna Power Tool Corporation and the name was changed in 1955 to better reflect what the company did.

Magna American who took over the line in the early 1960's from Yuba and later changed the color to gray.

SS Inc. changed Mark 5 to Mark V on the machines themselves in 1980 although Mark V had been used in advertising prior to that time.

If you are curious where the Mark 2 fits in it was Magna Power Tool Corporation that made the Mark 2 at Montgomery Ward's request.

This, of course, is only covering the Model 10 and Mark series machines.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

There is some research materials I was provided for my book contained in a Hans Goldschmidt manuscript he wrote discussing the patent process that I promise to get into.

It speaks to the environment and why some courses were chosen and decisions made. It does not change what’s been stated but may help.

I am trying to catch up after being gone for two weeks.

I scanned a lot of material and some of it will be interesting and other will just be duplicates of other material that’s out there.

We will see some of that hopefully in a few weeks.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I look forward to that from the horse's mouth!!!!

Better than second guessing!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

robinson46176 wrote:That is a great clear picture even if it does look much like he is about to drill a hole to put a pin in his index finger... :D

I will be anxiously watching for more. I hope you are enjoying this as much as we are. :)

I meant to respond to this earlier when I first saw it, but zooming and cropping on a cell phone is awkward at best.

His finger is well away from the hole illustrated as being drilled.

In fact the entire index finger is in front of the pencil line of the previous hole drilled.

I agree it did look somewhat unsafe from the photo angle at a distance.

Everett
Finger Placement.jpg
Finger Placement.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

EliWalton wrote:Just to clarify and eliminate some continued parsing of my original post: I just had a couple of very broad points: (a) the original overall design (10E/10ER/Mark II/ V/VII/... et. al.) is museum-worthy and about 70 years old, and (b) the original Mark V (Mark V-500) table size looks better proportioned to me than the larger versions 510, 520, Mark 7).

I apologize if my passion got ahead of my writing accuracy. Thanks!

Ely
I guess this photo does answer the question about Mark II vs Mark 2 that has been discussed through the years...

From the recent photo cache... Mark 2 is noted on the stack of documents as it reads "presents the all new Shopsmith mark 2, with "mark" in lower case.

Now if I could just peek into the folder under the gentleman's arm apparently titled 'Confidential Shopsmith'....

Everett
Celebration with Montgomery Ward folks - Introducing the Mark 2.jpg
Celebration with Montgomery Ward folks - Introducing the Mark 2.jpg (529.14 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

It is going to be amazing when we get to see this stuff. WOW!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT