At Shopsmith in Dayton this week

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: At Shopsmith in Dayton this week

Post by rjent »

No one better to do this brother! anxiously waiting for your final product! :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Wrapping up an illuminating week in Dayton When I get home I will begin the alignment corrections, stitching of oversized scans together,despeckling, patching and repairing things as I seprate book research materials out from general interest materials

Next week I will clean up and post a photo perhaps the only surviving photo of the first shopsmih made - for the patent office.

Tonight Tera and I had dinner and a lot of fun conversation with Jim McCann of Shopsmith, Nick Engler formerly of Shopsmith and their wives also each formerly with Shopsmith.

Great evening altogether.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

That must have been a very intersting dinner. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
EliWalton
Gold Member

Post by EliWalton »

I still think the Shopsmith story should be an exhibit in the Smithsonian... I mean isn't that basic design about 70 years old now? And so many still in active service... Some of us could even argue that the original Mark V (500) was better proportioned and the the best mix of form and function than their morphed-out successors...

Looking forward to the historical photos and documents.

Ely
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

EliWalton wrote:I still think the Shopsmith story should be an exhibit in the Smithsonian... I mean isn't that basic design about 70 years old now? And so many still in active service... Some of us could even argue that the original Mark V (500) was better proportioned and the the best mix of form and function than their morphed-out successors...

Ely
The 70 year old model was a Mark 5. Mark V (500) model designation came a couple of decades later.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
EliWalton wrote:I still think the Shopsmith story should be an exhibit in the Smithsonian... I mean isn't that basic design about 70 years old now? And so many still in active service... Some of us could even argue that the original Mark V (500) was better proportioned and the the best mix of form and function than their morphed-out successors...

Ely
The 70 year old model was a Mark 5. Mark V (500) model designation came a couple of decades later.
The 70 year old model was a 10E/ER, ;) Mark 5 was introduced in 1953 = 65 years. :rolleyes:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:
JPG wrote:

Ely
The 70 year old model was a 10E/ER, ;) Mark 5 was introduced in 1953 = 65 years. :rolleyes:
YEP! I did not do the math! :o

I took the statement in context(the original Mark is the best mix of form and function than it's successors). The original was the Mark 5 not the successor Mark V (500).

Too many folks are not aware of "Mark 5"s.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
EliWalton
Gold Member

Post by EliWalton »

Just to clarify and eliminate some continued parsing of my original post: I just had a couple of very broad points: (a) the original overall design (10E/10ER/Mark II/ V/VII/... et. al.) is museum-worthy and about 70 years old, and (b) the original Mark V (Mark V-500) table size looks better proportioned to me than the larger versions 510, 520, Mark 7).

I apologize if my passion got ahead of my writing accuracy. Thanks!

Ely
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

EliWalton wrote:Just to clarify and eliminate some continued parsing of my original post: I just had a couple of very broad points: (a) the original overall design (10E/10ER/Mark II/ V/VII/... et. al.) is museum-worthy and about 70 years old, and (b) the original Mark V (Mark V-500) table size looks better proportioned to me than the larger versions 510, 520, Mark 7).

Ely
The Mark V-500 table is identical to a Mark 5 table. I consider the Mark 5 to be "the original".

I know, picky picky, but accurate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
EliWalton wrote:Just to clarify and eliminate some continued parsing of my original post: I just had a couple of very broad points: (a) the original overall design (10E/10ER/Mark II/ V/VII/... et. al.) is museum-worthy and about 70 years old, and (b) the original Mark V (Mark V-500) table size looks better proportioned to me than the larger versions 510, 520, Mark 7).

Ely
The Mark V-500 table is identical to a Mark 5 table. I consider the Mark 5 to be "the original".

I know, picky picky, but accurate.
There is nothing wrong with being accurate. Magna made the Mark 5 (numeric 5) starting in 1953. Later Magna American changed it to Mark V (Roman numeral) or was it Yuba. Anyhow both are completely different companies than Magna Engineering that first introduced the Mark 5.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT