Best saw alignment tool?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Best saw alignment tool?

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I know this subject has been discussed in one form or fashion before but I am seriously considering ordering a saw alignment tool.

By alignment gage I mean something like these

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-0928- ... B00AQGLB1K
https://www.amazon.com/Woodpeckers-Prec ... B002VRFM9Y

I know shopsmith sells one also
I have a dail indicator so I could build one but to do that I a. Looking for opinions on which model/style is easiest to use and which provides the best results.

Please do not just say I like .... without giving a reason and hopefully problems you found with the others.

Thanks to all that responds in advance!
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Best saw alignment tool?

Post by everettdavis »

Ed,

I know I have written a bit on my method, but I also have the Shopsmith Dial Indicator Set Up Gauge and the DVD that was done by Nick Engler. I like the fact that the block is solid and stable in the miter gauge slots.

Previously I had a small magnetic mount base that would grip the bar, but it could move if I bumped it accidentally. I originally got the magnetic one for working on jointers, but the Shopsmith one works well on those and is outlined in the DVD.

It is really helpful to understand the process, and in my opinion helps folks see the value in my method to alignment which does use the dial indicator if you have one. The document "What can one crosscut tell you" is a pre-cursor to alignment as it defines whether it is necessary at the time.

If you have other tools that you want to use it on, the extra tips help set it up for a variety of jobs Non-Shopsmith.

If you are a machinist, you likely would want more precision, something like a Starrett or better that has 0.0005 Inch Dial Graduations, which is not necessary for woodworking machines.

If you are interested in recommendations for a machinist's version you will find a good bit of info at http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... ty-221877/ There's 55 responses in the thread that is similar to what you might find in our threads as folks weigh in with their thoughts.

I don't know if that helps you much Ed, but I tried to be a little more specific.

Everett
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have the Woodpecker model and love it. It works on both saws and is very quick and simple. It has the ability to slide along the miter slot from front to rear easily and works for the blade and the fence.
Paul
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I know this subject has been discussed in one form or fashion before but I am seriously considering ordering a saw alignment tool.

By alignment gage I mean something like these

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-0928- ... B00AQGLB1K
https://www.amazon.com/Woodpeckers-Prec ... B002VRFM9Y

I know shopsmith sells one also
I have a dail indicator so I could build one but to do that I a. Looking for opinions on which model/style is easiest to use and which provides the best results.

Please do not just say I like .... without giving a reason and hopefully problems you found with the others.

Thanks to all that responds in advance!
I have the iGaging one and think it is great. It allows set up of the fence quite a ways away from the miter slots which is handy to check floating and extension table alignment.
I almost forgot the bar will not fit into the Shopsmith miter slot. Not a problem for me because I have a leftover piece from an old Shopsmith indicator that works just fine with it but might be a deal breaker for you.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

See if this helps any with the Shopsmith one...

Everett
Dial Indicator.pdf
(387.15 KiB) Downloaded 2179 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have the shopsmith version and it is just a small step above junk. Sorry people just telling it like it is. The bar is really sloppy in my tables and in order to use it I have to shim it.... and as you attempt to move it the shim size changes so it is a lot of work for something the should just work.

I have on my want list the woodpecker one. The way the bar works is slick and you don't have to fiddle around just put the pieces in place and start using it.

Somewhere here I have a post showing the method I have to use to make use of the shopsmith version and it is just sad to have to try and do so I don't use it anymore. I've gone back to the old miter gauge and bar with a feeler gauge and while it works pretty well I do think I'd like the woodpecker version better.

When you are aligning to .005" or better you can't have miter gauge slop like the shopsmith one does, it just doesn't work that way.

Now it could be that mine was a freak but I replaced the bar at my own cost only to find it the same way. My slots are off? Might be but I have several table and see the same thing. My book is on a bad design.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I have an A-Line It. http://www.in-lineindustries.com/produc ... a-line-it/

The main thing I like is the fact that the bar has spring loaded ball plungers (no idea what the correct term is) that can be adjusted to the Shopsmith miter slots. This pushes the bar flush against the side of the slot and gets rid of slop. Important when you are measuring to the thousandth of an inch. Can also be used in standard table saw miter slots.

It also can be configured to take other measurements. You can read the on line manuals and see what I’m talking about.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

How does that saying go??? Put you money where your mouth goes???? So I did. I placed an order for the Woodpecker version, $79.99 free shipping and no tax.
I get to pay the tax later but for now I don't.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

OK, go ahead, get out the tar and feathers... This HAS to be said. Do understand that I am including myself here too.
OMG!!! We are truly a bunch of suckers for shiny gadgets with a batch of moving parts... :D :D :D :D :D
For most of my life I aligned table saws with the miter gauge, a carpenters pencil and a set of wrenches (and they were not Snap-On :) ) in much the same way as Shopsmith says to do it with the Allen wrench. That and several carefully watched test cuts through a fairly wide board (to touch both the front and back of the blade at the same time) did quite well.

I'm not planning to put any money in saw alignment tools but I am looking at some high accuracy sharpening stuff. It's shiny and has a batch of moving parts... :D :D :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Francis, that is exactly why I wrote the "What can a single crosscut tell you" and "My method to the alignment process".

Ed, I don't know what Shopsmith may have changed through the years, but mine fits very well in the slots, is graduated to 0.001" and it works fine. They may have changed them at some point.

I just prefer my method and one can lock a bar in the miter gauge, and use an automotive feeler gauge to set the distance to the 12" verified flat sanding disk, rotating it to prove it is true through a 360 degree rotation.

I then wiggle / rock it to see if there is any visible change with runout, that can be measured with feeler gauges etc.

None of the fancy shiny things for Francis and it's something I have on hand. Without feeler gauges, I once did it with a thickness of notebook paper to prove up the sanding disk.

One can get a MasterPlate and precision dial indicators to really get precise. See http://www.mastergage.com/display_product.asp?id=4

Everett