New Wheels for Power Stands or Pro Planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Wheels for Power Stands or Pro Planer

Post by JPG »

FWIW, my 10E casters have the ball end and the piston bore is very close the the length of the stem. The bottom of the piston does rest on the shoulder of the caster when under load.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:FWIW, my 10E casters have the ball end and the piston bore is very close the the length of the stem. The bottom of the piston does rest on the shoulder of the caster when under load.
Is the caster assembly for a 10E the same as that for the Mark V.

If John did not have the same gap between the shoulder and the bottom of the piston I would immediately conclude that I am doing something wrong.

What keeps it from going all the way in, I don't know.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I ordered a set of wheels that might work on Sunday from Apollo. I just got email notification that they shipped and should be delivered on Thursday. I hope the wheels are as good as order response.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:The stems on my 2" casters are ball shaped.

What the end of the bore looks like, I don't know.

It doesn't seem to matter though because it seems that the stems do not reach the bottom of the bore. They would IF the caster went all the way in. Looking at Johns' picture and at mine it can be seem that they don't. There is about a 1/4" gap. This is what my sketchup was intended to show.
They don't go all the way in because they are bottomed out on the end of the piston bore as designed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dusty asked: Is the caster assembly for a 10E the same as that for the Mark V.

Some parts are but most are only similar as needed for the difference in mounting. When the Mark 5 came out they used steel wheels with the "ball" end on the top of the shaft the same as the Retractable Casters for the Model 10's. Both versions of the steel wheels have a 1-5/8" shaft with a "ball" end. The Foot Pedal Wheel has always been the same. You can order a brand new one and put it on the Model 10's assembly. I replaced a broken one that way. The Cams are very similar and, although I have not tried it, could be interchangeable. The rods are different length and the brackets are completely different. Skip Campbell has modified the Mark V Casters to fit a Model 10 by shortening the rods and adding an additional bracket to mount it. The pistons are different and are retained in the brackets differently. The Model 10 piston is rounded at the top inside and matches the "ball" end of the caster shaft. It is where the caster rides and is its pivot point so a little grease on the end is helpful. That's why there is a small gap between the bottom of the piston and the flange of the caster. Sorry I do not have a loose set of Mark V casters to check the piston out. Any casters without bearings like the new 3" caster upgrade should be touching the top of the piston, its pivot point, to allow the caster to change direction. This and the axle on the 2" wheels is why they do not work as well as the 3" upgrade wheels.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Hi Dusty: Just a quick poke with a stick...
dusty wrote:I ordered a set of wheels that might work on Sunday

I would rather have casters that worked any day of the week... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:Hi Dusty: Just a quick poke with a stick...
dusty wrote:I ordered a set of wheels that might work on Sunday

I would rather have casters that worked any day of the week... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :)

LOL

So that there is less confusion, I ordered the casters on Sunday. I don't know if they will work but we will see on Saturday. The tracker says I should have them by close of business on Friday.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:

It doesn't seem to matter though because it seems that the stems do not reach the bottom of the bore. They would IF the caster went all the way in. Looking at Johns' picture and at mine it can be seem that they don't. There is about a 1/4" gap. This is what my sketchup was intended to show.
They don't go all the way in because they are bottomed out on the end of the piston bore as designed.
Yes, the stem of a 2" caster bottoms out in the bore. The bore is 1 1/2" deep and the stem is 1 7/8" long. Therefore, there is the gap between the bottom of the plunger and the bottom end of the stem.

You say it is designed that way. Why does the design call for the stem to be longer than the bore?

BTW, the stem on the 3" casters is only 1 3/8". It does not bottom out. Why does the design call for this stem to be shorter than the bore so as to not bottom out?

What am I missing?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Yes, the stem of a 2" caster bottoms out in the bore. The bore is 1 1/2" deep and the stem is 1 7/8" long. Therefore, there is the gap between the bottom of the plunger and the bottom end of the stem.

You say it is designed that way. Why does the design call for the stem to be longer than the bore?

BTW, the stem on the 3" casters is only 1 3/8". It does not bottom out. Why does the design call for this stem to be shorter than the bore so as to not bottom out?

What am I missing?
The pivot point of the 2" castor is the rounded end of the stem against the end of the piston bore. With the 3" castor the pivot point is the ball bearings just above the castor wheel. As such you want the weight of the machine on the end of the piston that contacts that bearing. If the weight of the machine is on the end of the stem as in the 2" castor there is no reason for the ball bearing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Dusty,

I put together a sheet for you for that Shepherd 2" Caster C0020273ZN-POL01(KK))

I used Shepherd's site and CAD tools to extract something that may help folks see how the numbering and ordering specs go together and visualize the construction.

One of the things I think the 2" Shepherd unit has over the 50 year old OEM caster is the Rig (the Fork, Horn or Yoke) as some refer to them has a short offset swivel lead, that is the distance from the the vertical centerline of the kingpin (stem) and the axle.

Without the wider caster and the main load bearing which the OEM did not have, this new caster will make it far easier to initiate the swivel, and far harder to bend the Rig (Yoke) as we have seen through the years.

Better still, it is a 2" Caster and may not require any of the modifications the 3" caster upgrade does, plus I do agree it is likely to fit in Power Stands and Pro Planer Stands.

I can hardly wait til you post pictures!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Everett