New Wheels for Power Stands or Pro Planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Wheels for Power Stands or Pro Planer

Post by dusty »

Standard Shopsmith Caster (before the 3" upgrade)

Stem 7/16" grip ring 1 11/16" long

Load Height 2 3/4"

2" wheel 3/4 wide

Maybe you are right, John. Wrong or special order.

Just try to find a source (other than Shopsmith) for a caster that meets the above specs.

This would not be the first custom part that Shopsmith uses. Think motors as an example.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW the MVII casters only vary by stem length and piston bore depth. Shorter IIRC. Will verify that shortly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Bore 1.283 1 9/32

Stem 1.383 1 3/8?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Standard Shopsmith Caster (before the 3" upgrade)

Stem 7/16" grip ring 1 11/16" long

Load Height 2 3/4"

2" wheel 3/4 wide

Maybe you are right, John. Wrong or special order.

Just try to find a source (other than Shopsmith) for a caster that meets the above specs.

This would not be the first custom part that Shopsmith uses. Think motors as an example.
The 3" castor stem is shorter because it has a pivot bearing just above the wheel. The weight of the machine is supposed to ride on that bearing. Thus you want the end of the piston to sit on that bearing. To accomplish that the stem must be shorter than the piston bore.

Well, if it is a wrong order then SS has been getting it wrong for 70+ years. I seriously doubt that.

I rest my case!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Bore 1.283 1 9/32

Stem 1.383 1 3/8?
With a rounded end on the stem? If so then the design is the same just the dimensions are different.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:

Stem 1.383 1 3/8?
With a rounded end on the stem? If so then the design is the same just the dimensions are different.
YES. And the bore has a more obvious spherical shape( it is shallower, so it may just be more easily seen).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:

Stem 1.383 1 3/8?
And dimensions are not part of the design. In the case of the 2" caster from Shopsmith - who sells casters that meet that description.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Stem 1.383 1 3/8?
And dimensions are not part of the design. In the case of the 2" caster from Shopsmith - who sells casters that meet that description.
I dare say 70 years ago they were quite common. Cost reduction efforts no doubt are the cause of their scarcity today. After all, the current SS 2" casters have not changed.

How can you say with a straight face that dimensions are NOT part of a design??? :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Stem 1.383 1 3/8?
YES. And the bore has a more obvious spherical shape( it is shallower, so it may just be more easily seen).
I would expect the MK 5/V piston to be the same then. You don't end up with a castor where the castor stem is rounded, the piston bore end is rounded and the castor stem is long enough to bottom out in the piston other than by design. And it has been that way for 70+ years. Of course as you say that type of design may have been common back then so SS has continued it like a lot of their other designs.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We don't know that the 2" caster with the 1 11/16" stem has been around for 70+ years. But even if it has, that solves nothing. These two images show part of the problem that I am attempting to solve and I hope that the casters that I have on order (with the proper load height and greater weight capacity) will solve at least my problem.
2 inch caster comparison 1.jpg
2 inch caster comparison 1.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
2 inch caster comparison 2.jpg
2 inch caster comparison 2.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
I have replaced at least a half dozen casters that look like the one on the right.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty