Speed Dial Repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tvidnoviciii
Gold Member

Speed Dial Repair

Post by tvidnoviciii »

I've got an '86 vintage 510 and the knob on the speed dial came off last weekend (See pics). I'm sure someone out there has had to do this repair before, but I can't seem to find anything on the forums. I'm wondering how you went about it? I figure there are two ways to repair it. 1. Reinsert the knob into the dial and mushroom over the end with a hammer an punch. 2. drill and tap the knob stem, reinsert the knob into the dial, secure it with a screw and washer.

1. Is the easiest method, but only a temporary fix
2. Takes more work, but will lead to a more permanent fix.

I'm leaning towards method 2. Has anyone done this? If so, what size screw and tap did you use? Are there other methods used to perform this repair? I'd like to keep the look of the machine as stock as possible.

Thanks!

Ted
Attachments
speed dial 3.jpg
speed dial 3.jpg (498.92 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
speed dial 2.jpg
speed dial 2.jpg (456.34 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Re: Speed Dial Repair

Post by terrydowning »

1. There is a guy on eBay that refurbishes these. Check eBay
2. relatively inexpensive from the mother ship, that is how I took care of mine when it had issues.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

As an initial attempt, I would drove a center punch into the end so as to expand the od at the end. Mushroom
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tvidnoviciii
Gold Member

Post by tvidnoviciii »

JPG, that did the trick, at least temporarily.

Thanks,
Ted