Nukes..oh boy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GoNavy
Gold Member

Nukes..oh boy

Post by GoNavy »

Was reading that later this month CDC is going to start publishing things to do for nuclear war...lmao...not sure what the CDC has to do with that, but sure did bring back some memories. Any of you folks who grew up in the 60's remember the drills we did for atomic bombs where you hide under your wooden desk and brace for the bombs. Gonna have to do some research and find out what kinda wood they used on them desk back then...looks like we need to get out ahead of the demand and start making a whole bunch of these desks for the kiddies to hide under. Well at least my grand kids will get to relive some things I did as a child, wouldn't have been my pick, but hey least I can to give them some pointer... I did a lot of them drills. Grew up in Ralston Nebraska near Offutt Air Force Base we were surrounded by a ton of them under ground missile silo's, pretty sure we were on the kremlin's target list...lol..so let all get together and make some nuke proof school desks for our young ones....
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Nukes..oh boy

Post by garys »

I think those old desks were made of old fashioned indestructa-wood. Today we have much better technology so the CDC should be able to come up with an anti-radiation serum that should work just as well.

Stupidity never ends.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I was ready to call BS, but here it is. https://www.cdc.gov/cdcgrandrounds/arch ... ry2018.htm

It seems that sheltering in-place to avoid radiation for the first 24 hours is key. Does anyone know anything about this?
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I well recall those drills. But the indestructo-wood desks didn't fool us kids even back then. The standing nuke-drill joke from about 4th grade on went like this:

1. Bend forward.
2. Place your head between your legs.
3. Kiss your a$$ goodbye! :eek:
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Before me ,way before me,,, this town was known for producing bombs If I recall for WWI/WWII, some of the old bunkers are still around , My grand mother and many of my aunts worked there, many died a terrible death of cancer, recently they built a new high school because the old one ended being built on top of a toxic dump ,,,,, cancer related deaths of those who went to school there were astronomical ,all of our old schools were designated as fall out shelters, they had hallways with reinforced concrete walls , basements that could be sealed off with metal doors ,, the pipes were all wrapped with asbestos , the lunch room was a addition to the main school house with very thick concrete walls , when you look at the construction of the new schools with their tin roofs ,,, compared to the old ones we had ,it is sort of scary , we didnt set under the desk unless there was a tornado and we couldnt get to the hall way. we went to the hall way and set with our heads between our knees.

How did we survive LOL
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We gots bunkers nearby which contain mustard gas and other nice stuff. Is taking decades to get it safely destroyed. Every once in a while one of them projectiles leak causing alarms(both mechanical and human and setting off activists who want the stuff 'removed' from their back yard).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:We gots bunkers nearby which contain mustard gas and other nice stuff. Is taking decades to get it safely destroyed. Every once in a while one of them projectiles leak causing alarms(both mechanical and human and setting off activists who want the stuff 'removed' from their back yard).
Everybody wants the "hazards" removed. Put it somewhere, anywhere just not in my backyard.

Guess what folks, we are in this together.

If North Korea acts on any of their threats it won't matter "whose back yard". It will adversely effect all of us.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

GoNavy wrote:Was reading that later this month CDC is going to start publishing things to do for nuclear war...lmao...not sure what the CDC has to do with that,
Research the CDC and the Airforce connection........
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

When you have just spent billions of tax dollars and 6 months peddling a drug that turns out to be only 10% effective, it is good business to distract the taxpayers with a different subject like nuke preparedness.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm not sure survival would be the best option, it might be better to just be gone in that initial blast. No access to medical supplies and some of us wouldn't make it anyway past a year or so and that is without the radiation effects, lack of food and water, heating/cooling and the likes.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]