Joiner dust chute

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

beeg wrote:I bought the joiner in July 1989. Ilooked up the part #555077, and I don't recognize the red items, nor the "C" shape item in the upper left corner. Looks Like I'm missing those, so I'll call SS and see what they say.

Thanks everyone for helping.
The "C" shaped thing is a guard that goes where the drive coupling hooks up. I believe that the 3 red things are only there to cover the blades while installing the upgrade.
charlese
Platinum Member

What's the metal plate do?

Post by charlese »

Thanks, Randy! I never would have guessed what the red sticks were for. Now, - about the metal plate - hadn't said anything earlier, - was hoping the answer would just pop out, but it hasn't, and I have no answer. - - What is the almost square shaped metal part for?
I have one of those things. It came with my jointer, (I think). There is a small hinged metal spring loaded hinge attached to the metal plate.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

That plate attaches to the back of the jointer and covers the coupler when attached to the headstock.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
dusty
Platinum Member

Joiner dust chute

Post by dusty »

Yes, it is a safety device to protect one from getting their tie entangled in the drive shaft and chocking themselves to death.

If you need another one, I know where you can get it.

Mine is stored away in the box of items harvested frpm upgrades. If I installed my jointer and left it there, I would install this as well. Since I move my jointer regularly, I declased it more of a headache than it was of safety value.

I apologize to all of the "safety engineers" but that is the way it is.

This is unusual for me because I normally preach safety. This one I just couldn't handle.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

Dusty,

One of the worst butt chewings I ever got from my dad was when I hooked up the PTO on a tractor for just a couple of minutes and did not put the shield on. His opinion was that you could not be safe enough. One father and thee boys spent many years on a farm with no major injuries.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thanks guys! Today I looked for that part for about an hour. It must be at the bottom of a stack/pile of something. Haven't seen it in a while now. Never did know what it was for. Was always at wonder about the warning stuck on it, but couldn't figure where it went. Also looked today, and didn't find any holes where the hinge would be mounted.

Searched the owner's instructions for the jointer today and viewed a photo of the older style jointer set up to make rabbets. There was a metal piece that resembles that one, covering the knives behind the fence. However no mention of placing the part. So, before reading your posts, I came to the conclusion it was meant to be attached during a set-up for rabbeting.

Now, I think I know, that if attached to the fence, it'll drag across the cutterhead when taking a norrow cut.

Wonder why the concern about the plastic connector when used with the jointer. No such concerns about other SPTs. Must be the speedy RPMs!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:Yes, it is a safety device to protect one from getting their tie entangled in the drive shaft and chocking themselves to death.

If you need another one, I know where you can get it.

Mine is stored away in the box of items harvested frpm upgrades. If I installed my jointer and left it there, I would install this as well. Since I move my jointer regularly, I declased it more of a headache than it was of safety value.

I apologize to all of the "safety engineers" but that is the way it is.

This is unusual for me because I normally preach safety. This one I just couldn't handle.
Hi dusty,
So, you have had a change of heart? This coming from the guy that decided to remove his radio from the shop? :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Joiner dust chute

Post by dusty »

No, Tim - not a change of heart. I still believe in good safety practises and I still do not have the radio in the shop for (my) reasons adequately debated before.

I just don't see the value in that particular shield. If I did, and you are more than welcome to make me see the error in my ways, I would be making a move to develop safety covers for all of the other open, unprotected whirling shafts that exist in my shop. There's three of them on the Shopsmith alone.

If you have yours all "ADEQUATELY PROTECTED" post pictures and I'll consider them for incorporation in my shop.

BTW - When I mount the Bandsaw on that very same PTO, there's no cover on it

lv2wdwork: Your father was a very wise man. I have witnessed far too many body mangling accidents around farm implements.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:No, Tim - not a change of heart. I still believe in good safety practises and I still do not have the radio in the shop for (my) reasons adequately debated before.

I just don't see the value in that particular shield. If I did, and you are more than welcome to make me see the error in my ways, I would be making a move to develop safety covers for all of the other open, unprotected whirling shafts that exist in my shop. There's three of them on the Shopsmith alone.

If you have yours all "ADEQUATELY PROTECTED" post pictures and I'll consider them for incorporation in my shop.

BTW - When I mount the Bandsaw on that very same PTO, there's no cover on it

lv2wdwork: Your father was a very wise man. I have witnessed far too many body mangling accidents around farm implements.
Oh no, dusty,
I do knot see any error in this way of thinking: I agree with you that the coupler cover or guard, is not required (I do knot wear a neck tie in my shop); although, for long haired individuals, it might be necessary.:D

I do, however, have a radio in my shop.:eek: :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

That square plate with the sticker on it. It attaches to the back of the fence in two screw holes. One hole is at the end of the infeed table, the other is over the front of the knives. Guessing that it's there because your hands may be close to the knives. On the bandsaw, you have the bandsaw it's self between you and the shaft. Same for the belt sander??? Better safe than sorry. Bet the mower company wished they had placed a warning, "do not pick up running mower to trim hedges".
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob