How Much Would You Say this is Worth

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

How Much Would You Say this is Worth

Post by rlkeeney »

To qualify this, the plan is to buy it and part it out after removing the pieces I want selling it on eBay most likely since there does not seem to be much of a market locally. I want the bandsaw, bench and way tubes, legs and casters and I'll have all of the parts I need to make another Shopsmith and the second bandsaw need.

Assuming it works what should I offer for it? I haven't seen it yet and the only contact is the email on craigs list which the seller hasn't responded to any of the ones I have sent.

00w0w_4QGJsJaWuy3_1200x900.jpg
00w0w_4QGJsJaWuy3_1200x900.jpg (135.42 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
00O0O_9jc0r7UbdlL_1200x900.jpg
00O0O_9jc0r7UbdlL_1200x900.jpg (141.06 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
00C0C_1bsmirCQWnE_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_1bsmirCQWnE_1200x900.jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
garys
Platinum Member

Re: How Much Would You Say this is Worth

Post by garys »

It depends largely on where you live and what they sell for in your area. Pricing has huge differences in the different parts of the country.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

garys wrote:It depends largely on where you live and what they sell for in your area. Pricing has huge differences in the different parts of the country.
What I really want is someone who has bought one to get the parts/pieces they needed. and parted the rest out on eBay to tell me:

1. What would you pay for this machine to get the parts listed above?
2. Is it worth it to do this considering the amount of work involved?

I don't want to end up with another pile of parts that I can't use and can't sell. They would wind up getting recycled.

I'm well aware of prices. They don't sell here. I have a continuous search running on Craig's list for more than a year maybe two. In all that time I've seen about six.

One was a 520 like new with just about everything I could want asking over $3000.

One was in an estate where everything got turned over to an auction company and I don't know what happened to it. I was told by his son that his dad bought everything Shopsmith sold. They wanted me to make an offer on it unseen.

The rest were bare bones or basket cases. Someone into restoring them would have loved them. That's not me.

I also have a Google alert running for Shopsmith. Get over 10 Craig's list hits a day some times a lot more. These come from all over the country and asking prices don't vary as much as you think. There is the occasional rust bucket for some crazy price and some nice ones that I'm sure they are asking more than they paid for them. Throw those out and I think the average would be around $600 for what looks like good working machine with little or no rust.
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

Just off hand, I'd say $600 sounds like an in the ball park asking price for what's pictured.
If that has all the parts you're looking for in one spot and as you say they don't come up in your area often, go for it!
I bought an old junk greeny for parts and sold off what I didn't need.
It's a time consuming task. I ended up restoring most of what I sold, just so I could be confident I wasn't selling someone junk.
Keep in mind those parts are heavy and packing them to arrive undamaged is a challenge.
Enjoy your new purchase!
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

recurvearcher wrote:Just off hand, I'd say $600 sounds like an in the ball park asking price for what's pictured.
If that has all the parts you're looking for in one spot and as you say they don't come up in your area often, go for it!
I bought an old junk greeny for parts and sold off what I didn't need.
It's a time consuming task. I ended up restoring most of what I sold, just so I could be confident I wasn't selling someone junk.
Keep in mind those parts are heavy and packing them to arrive undamaged is a challenge.
Enjoy your new purchase!
Thanks for the input. I emailed the seller again last night still nothing. Crickets. No other contact info.

I've been on the receiving end of poorly packed heavy items. I bought two different compressors off eBay and both were damaged beyond repair. One had no packing at all. Just stuck in a box.

At $600 I would about break even before selling off the parts I don't need.

If they don't sell I'd have two Shopsmiths and almost enough parts for a third. I'm beginning to understand how one winds up with a garage full of these.