Any way to tell how old my pro planer is?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dynabase
Gold Member

Any way to tell how old my pro planer is?

Post by dynabase »

I bought a used pro planer that came with a round table hight wheel instead of the crank (I would rather have a crank). The wheel has a plastic "gauge" that list various measurements like 1/8, 1/4 etc. It also has a stainless steal table. I thought the planers had solid cast iron tables. I'm just starting a maintenance routine on it and may discover additional differences.

It would be nice to get some idea how old it is.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Any way to tell how old my pro planer is?

Post by beeg »

What is the serial number?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dynabase wrote:I bought a used pro planer that came with a round table hight wheel instead of the crank (I would rather have a crank). The wheel has a plastic "gauge" that list various measurements like 1/8, 1/4 etc. It also has a stainless steal table. I thought the planers had solid cast iron tables. I'm just starting a maintenance routine on it and may discover additional differences.

It would be nice to get some idea how old it is.
When you say Pro planer I assume it is on a power stand. Some sellers think that if the planer is on a power stand it is a Pro planer. That is not necessarily true. SS made a Power Stand for the MK V mounted planer. The MK V mounted planer has an aluminum table skinned with stainless steel. Mounting a MK V mount planer on a power stand does not equal a Pro planer. The pro planer does indeed have a cast iron table. The Pro planer has a 1 3/4HP motor. The power stand for the MK V mount planer has a 1 1/2HP motor.

The easiest way to tell besides the table is by the label on the in feed shield. On a Pro planer it says "12" Professional Planer". On a MK V mount planer it says "Shopsmith 12" Planer". Of course the model numbers are different also.

As for the age, what is the serial number.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

Well I guess I don't have a pro planer after all. It's a M5990 sn 02207. I think it's still worth the $300 I paid for it and I guess I can always take it off of the stand if I need the floor space.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Re the crank, I am amused that a 'tip' is to mark angles around the crank to indicate amount of thickness changed with rotation of the 'crank'.

That duplicates the function of the calibrated plastic dial on the round knob.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dynabase wrote:Well I guess I don't have a pro planer after all. It's a M5990 sn 02207. I think it's still worth the $300 I paid for it and I guess I can always take it off of the stand if I need the floor space.
If you only paid $300 it is still a great deal and absolutely worth what you paid for it. The biggest difference is the cast iron table. AFAIK everything else is the same. It will serve you very well.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Re the crank, I am amused that a 'tip' is to mark angles around the crank to indicate amount of thickness changed with rotation of the 'crank'.

What 'Tip' are you referring to?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:Re the crank, I am amused that a 'tip' is to mark angles around the crank to indicate amount of thickness changed with rotation of the 'crank'.

At around 9 min.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... edures.htm
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

At around 9 min.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... edures.htm
Interesting!. I don't know why that is necessary. I can eyeball a 1/16 or 1/4 turn as accurately as the masking tape.

I have a Wixey digital height gauge on my pro planer and I routinely check stock thickness with a dial caliper. If I turn the planer crank the amount on the on the chart the dial caliper verifies the result. The Wixey also confirms the result. No tape necessary.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The adjustable plastic dial on the round knob has marks with 1/128" resolution(1/8 turn). Close to 8 thousands.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝