Crib Finish

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mrhart
Platinum Member

Crib Finish

Post by mrhart »

Good evening all, I am ready to finish a walnut crib for my daughter. Im not a big finish guy, and I want it safe for kids, very easy for repairs or to spruce up between kids.
I have natural Danish oil.
Will this bring out the natural beauty of walnut and be what I am expecting?

I was going to steel wool and cost 2-3 times and the wax.

Please all opinions

Thanks!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Crib Finish

Post by wa2crk »

I have been using some of the wipe on polyurethane lately and it really lays down a nice finish.I don't know about the toxicity though. You may want to check on that aspect. Most, if not all, of the finishes manufactured in the U.S. are supposed to be non toxic after fully cured. Emphasis on FULLY CURED.
Bill V
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

wa2crk wrote:I have been using some of the wipe on polyurethane lately and it really lays down a nice finish.I don't know about the toxicity though. You may want to check on that aspect. Most, if not all, of the finishes manufactured in the U.S. are supposed to be non toxic after fully cured. Emphasis on FULLY CURED.
Bill V
That is correct, no Lead, fine for kids to teeth on after cured, if you cant smell it, it is cured!!!! I am not familiar with what you want to use, I am a MinWax wipe on and Shellac guy, both are kid safe. Heck they put Shellac on your Corn Flakes to stay crunchy in the Milk.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:
wa2crk wrote:I have been using some of the wipe on polyurethane lately and it really lays down a nice finish.I don't know about the toxicity though. You may want to check on that aspect. Most, if not all, of the finishes manufactured in the U.S. are supposed to be non toxic after fully cured. Emphasis on FULLY CURED.
Bill V
That is correct, no Lead, fine for kids to teeth on after cured, if you cant smell it, it is cured!!!! I am not familiar with what you want to use, I am a MinWax wipe on and Shellac guy, both are kid safe. Heck they put Shellac on your Corn Flakes to stay crunchy in the Milk.
Sure, do not be concerned with shellac, after all it is beetle waste. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Let me re phrase that, your choice has no Lead in it, by US Standards, so when cured no oil base smell, 2-3 days after the finial coat, can chew away.
I have made many a crib, if Walnut not good for horses though!!! ;)
Walnut and Cheery I made for a grand child of a Great Man with MS I was his care giver for.
Attachments
IMG_4847.jpg
IMG_4847.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 6247 times
IMG_4850.jpg
IMG_4850.jpg (75.63 KiB) Viewed 6247 times
IMG_4852.jpg
IMG_4852.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 6247 times
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

I have not used Danish Oil, but wood figure it will pop the grain, try it on a scrap piece, if it does not get some Boiled Linseed Oil, cut it 50% with Mineral Spirits, wipe on wet, wipe off excess, let dry over night then do your Danish Oil.
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

As one on LumberJocks told you, one of my favorite dull/Satin but very repairable finish is 1/3rd of each, Bees wax, Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits. As he said melt in a double boiler, when cool it is about the same as room temp butter or just a bit harder, put on your hand or rag and wipe into the wood, create some friction, to melt it. leave no excess, wipe off, and then 24 hours later another coat, wipe off excess then a 3rd 24 hours later, wipe off any excess.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If I were doing this I would go to google and type in something like "best finish for a wooden crib" then I would read for several hours taking notes and book marking interesting sites.

Keep several things in mind like it will have to get cleaned from time to time and that can be an issue for some finishes. Other things like the design can make a difference, spindles can get chewed on but not so much a wide panel........

If this is a one off then you might proceed differently then if you think it will see generations of use. So here throw things out on a regular bases others like me are savers, which is this cribs owners going to be?

Just some food for thought.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Ed/reible, that crib I made has furniture fasteners on the side, so when one is done the sides come off from front and back "rails", and the 1/2" Baltic Birch base for the mattress just lays flat in about a 20x 34"x 6" package.
I have been told that it is on its 3rd child.