Router for Pin Router?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Router for Pin Router?

Post by algale »

Anybody care to recommend a router motor for the pin router?

The only router I currently have is a trim router (Dewalt DWP611) which is 1-1/4 HO and has a 1/4 collet. It probably could be mounted in the pin router but I'm looking to do some projects that will need more grunt (spinning larger bits).

I'm open to buying a motor only. But will buy one with a base if it is a good deal.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tomp
Gold Member

Re: Router for Pin Router?

Post by tomp »

I use a Makita 1101, but that's because it was already in my toolbox. That has plenty of power for what I do.
I don't see that it makes much difference as long as the motor fits tightly.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have the older system so I have a router on top and one on the bottom. I use the Hitachi's for both locations. I keep them in place all the time. This happens to be a favorite of mine so I own four of them. If I needed yet another router I would keep this one in mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... ascsubtag=[site|ttr[cat|1339[art|NA[pid|61629[tid|NA[bbc|NA

If you happen to have a router table the extra base can be mounted and left in place to make swap overs easy. I have several tables with mounted bases.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I have always enjoyed Bosch Tools. They are high quality. I recommend the Bosch 1617EVS. It is variable speed, soft start, 2.25 HP, 12 Amps. Bosch tends to be conservative on their ratings so it will have plenty of power for any pin routing you do. It is $167 from Amazon.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boscht ... s-23526-c/

The specs are here:
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boscht ... 6-26767-p/
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ed's recommendation (Hitachi) is only $119 (without the plunge, which I won't need) and it definitely will fit. It also claims to be the quietest. I consider that a big plus.

Stephen -- I checked Amazon and the Bosch seems to be $204. Don't see it for $167. Also, I'm not sure it will fit. Listed at 4.5 diameter and the overarm takes at most a 4 inch diameter motor.

So far Hitachi looks like it is in the lead.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have used the PC 75182 motor for my router table applications and have never had an issue. It will handle the bigger jobs without a whimper. It's a bit pricey but if you plan on doing some heavy routering it won't disappoint you. It has the variable speed which allows for swinging the really large bits. That being said the last project involved building that tilting axis router table for the SS and since I did not want to have to break the big table down to get the PC and also I wasn't really sure the application would work I decided to buy the HF 2 hp motor for a trial run. I have to say I have a few hours on it now and it works fine. I think it was only $40 or close to it so I figured if I burned it up no great loss. But so far it is performing well.
Paul
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

The body of the Bosch 1617 router has a diameter of 3 1/2", and should fit fine. I hope it does, because that's what I plan to use. The 4 1/2" figure is probably for the motor, switch, etc.

Mike
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I've heard good things about the Triton TRA001. It allows above table adjustment out of the box,so no need for a router lift.
The Frued FT170 I have in my table has the same above the table adjsutment feature and its very handy. I run a PC690 on the arm.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

The Bosch 1617 can also be ordered with a base that can be adjusted from on top of the router table.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks, all. I went ahead and order the Hitachi.