SS Planer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

SS Planer

Post by dgreen810 »

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think a "Mint" Pro planer with an extra set of new never used SS knives and casters would be worth? Motors are 120VAC.

http://images.craigslist.org/00u0u_bKtW ... 00x450.jpg

Don G
Last edited by dgreen810 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: SS Planer

Post by ERLover »

There was one around me last Fall with out the stand or extra knives and he was asking $450.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Be careful. The motors are not cheap. Make sure they are operational. Hard to do unless you are going to be able to touch and feel before you buy.

The Feed Motor, 514203 is listed at $444.93.

Of course you could look at that as an asset. If everything else is crap, you can always sell the feed motor.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

Well! Maybe a mistake, maybe not. Just got home with the Planer. Both motors run. The feed motor runs great the cutter motor is making a rattling sound. Hope is something minor.

I paid $100. My "Joey" chair lift worked great.

Don G
Attachments
IMGP0014.JPG
IMGP0014.JPG (984.99 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
IMGP0015.JPG
IMGP0015.JPG (931.3 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
IMGP0013_edited-2.jpg
IMGP0013_edited-2.jpg (436.48 KiB) Viewed 12153 times
IMGP0016_edited-1.jpg
IMGP0016_edited-1.jpg (339.24 KiB) Viewed 12153 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A score by any measure!

Is the 'rattle' a motor, cutter or something originating elsewhere.

The cutter may be hitting something.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

James

Don't know yet it is still as the photos show. My next door help is still playing golf and I can't lift it yet. I do have a minor problem though, the control box key is no where and I ran the motors directly. I called SS and the key is $4.99 plus $7.00 shipping. I am going to try and make one. I am hoping it's a loose belt or something minor.

The cutters don't appear to be nicked in any way.

Don G
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am interested in what you mean by you "ran the feed motor 'directly'".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dgreen810 wrote:James

Don't know yet it is still as the photos show. My next door help is still playing golf and I can't lift it yet. I do have a minor problem though, the control box key is no where and I ran the motors directly. I called SS and the key is $4.99 plus $7.00 shipping. I am going to try and make one. I am hoping it's a loose belt or something minor.

The cutters don't appear to be nicked in any way.

Don G
Check the pulley on the cutter head. Since it is under the belt cover it is sight unseen. The set screw on mine worked loose at one point and the pulley rubbing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

James

I pushed the power button up to the "on" and plugged the motor control into an outlet. The feeder motor ran great, but not the power motor. Un plugged the power motor from the motor control into an outlet and it runs great. I am unsure if the key will make any difference or not, sure hate to spend $13.00 for nothing.

By the way just came from some checking. Found the belt adjustment was OK, but also found the pulleys were almost 1/4" out of line. Both were tight. Moved the upper 3" pulley inline with the motor pulley with a puller, put the guards back on and the unit runs very quiet like it should. Looks like all I may need is a control key.

Don G
Last edited by dgreen810 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

jsburger

On your unit, if you remove the key, can you push the switch up to the "On" position and run the feed motor? I guess what I am driving at is, does the motor control lock just make the power motor dead or does it make both dead?? I may have a defective motor control.

Don G
Last edited by dgreen810 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.