New Casters

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcoder
Gold Member

New Casters

Post by rcoder »

I have an older Mark 5 model 510 with steel casters. Would the new urethane casters be a direct replacement or would some modifications be in order.

Bob now in Green Valley
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: New Casters

Post by ERLover »

Mine on my greenie were a direct fit.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The new casters will require you to drill new holes in the legs at minimum. If the machine has the older pedal (the piece you set on to raise and lower the machine) it will interfere, so yes there are modifications needed.

There are a lot of posts on the subject, a search will get you some good reading material.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Shopsmith does offer a replacement caster that is form, fit, function compatible to the old caster.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... caster.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Ed,

I don't want to replace the whole bracket and lift mechanism just the casters. They are in all probability a direct fit???

Bob
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

From Shopsmith:

Easy Installation

Installing them on your existing Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets is a "breeze". Just re-drill some new bracket mounting holes in the legs of your Shopsmith (we provide a paper guide template for positioning)... pull the old casters out... pop the new casters in... bolt the brackets into the new position... and you're done in about half an hour ! That's all there is to it.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

I will be ordering.

Bob
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Do you want to replace the metal casters with the 2 inch or the 3 inch casters?

The 2 inch should be a direct fit. The 3 inch requires moving the bracket on the legs and in some cases the lift mechanism will need to be moved.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If you have steel wheels, you have the older caster set that locates the foot pedal closer to the end of the cam shaft.

Installing the 3" update will require moving the foot pedals towards the center(further from the end to provide clearance for the larger wheel).

To do that the foot pedal must be unsecured(drive the tension pin out), drill new holes for the pin, sliding the foot pedal over to the new hole, then inserting the pin into the new hole.

Accomplishing that is far easier if the cam shaft is removed from the end castings(which involves removing the tie rod at one end).

Not to scare you off, but you do not need this surprise when they arrive. ;)

They are worth the effort!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange