It works !

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: It works !

Post by masonsailor2 »

The bearings and pulleys were purchase from Eureka Bearing in Huntington Beach Ca. They are all 5/8 bore. The pulleys are 7 inch and 3 inch diameter. The keyed shaft was purchased from GRAINGER and the belts are from Harbor Frieght which are the link belt for 1/2" pulleys. I have all the part numbers in the shop if you need them. All of the parts were stock items that I picked up at the respective counters. Oh and the key stock came from Eureka Bearing also. I think any bearing supplier will carry those items.
Paul
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Johnn by the way I measure the speed is with a laser tachometer. Very handy tool to have. Again harbor freight.
Paul
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

masonsailor2 wrote:Johnn by the way I measure the speed is with a laser tachometer. Very handy tool to have. Again harbor freight.
Paul
700 x 3/7 x 3/7 = 129?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Totally very nice, I would have been scared of alignment.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I know JPG but I'm lazy.
Paul
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Today's project involved getting a stripped down headstock from Simon our local SS rebuilder. Part of the reason I wanted to build the speed reducer was to use it for large bowls and eventually for drilling with large forstner bits which involved the use of a stripped down headstock which will also function as a much stiffer tailstock when needed. One of the factors I could not account for was whether the shafts on the two headstocks would be aligned. This was a concern as there would be no adjustments as with the eccentric adjuster on the standard tailstock. Luck was with me and they align perfectly. In the video is the almost finished segmented bowl I have been working on. Here is the link to the video and the pics.
http://youtu.be/mplJeBjLEWM
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.49 KiB) Viewed 23926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 23926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (194.68 KiB) Viewed 23926 times
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

One issue I have is the platten that the bearings and shaft are mounted to is too wide. It prevents me from leaving the band saw mounted. I will pick up a shorter shaft and narrow the platten down about 3 inches which should do the trick.
Paul
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Genius! And a beautiful bowl, too!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

Paul, The bowl is absolutely beautiful!!!

Very nice work........

Mike
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

masonsailor2 wrote:The bearings and pulleys were purchase from Eureka Bearing in Huntington Beach Ca. They are all 5/8 bore. The pulleys are 7 inch and 3 inch diameter. The keyed shaft was purchased from GRAINGER and the belts are from Harbor Frieght which are the link belt for 1/2" pulleys. I have all the part numbers in the shop if you need them. All of the parts were stock items that I picked up at the respective counters. Oh and the key stock came from Eureka Bearing also. I think any bearing supplier will carry those items.
Paul
Back to the design roots of the family tree! Hans Goldschmidt himself cobbled together parts from an array of salvaged items to fabricate his original invention which came to market as the 10E.

He likely would smile at your innovation, with a small twinkle in his eye considering the homage to the family tree.

Well done on the innovation, and the project itself is beautiful! You prove once again that necessity is the mother of invention, and that vision is the cornerstone of creativity.

Everett