Anyone near DC have a set of double bar clamps?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Anyone near DC have a set of double bar clamps?

Post by algale »

I have a project for which I would like to use a set of the Shopsmith double bar clamps (either the 24" or the 36" size would fit my project). Went to order some from Shopsmith and they are back ordered with no delivery date.

If there is anyone near DC with a set that I could borrow for a project, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Re: Anyone near DC have a set of double bar clamps?

Post by Jack Wilson »

Al,

Not sure what you are doing; but can't you use a clamping caul.

Also, Woodcraft sells a version of them.

Jack
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Jack Wilson wrote:Al,

Not sure what you are doing; but can't you use a clamping caul.

Also, Woodcraft sells a version of them.

Jack
Yup, those are plans B & C!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

If I had them, I'd certainly lend them out.

I might also be able to lend a hand at your boat's first wetting. I think we all feel we have a stake in that.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Well, that didn't take long! They arrived from Shopsmith on Wednesday. At some point, I will try to do a review.

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

algale wrote:Well, that didn't take long! They arrived from Shopsmith on Wednesday. At some point, I will try to do a review.
You'll like them a lot. It's a bit of a pain to get the bar clamps situated around the glue-up, but that gets easier with practice. One past that, they work like a charm.

At first I used wax paper to keep the glue off the pretty cauls. A PITA, that is. I later read some excellent advice to apply packing tape to them prior to glue-up. Much better. Just peel off and discard when done.

Also, the "minimum width" spec for a given clamp capacity is really a non-issue. I have three of the 36" clamps, which are supposedly only good for panels of 16" or greater width. Not true. If I need 12" panels, for example, I simply glue up two or three narrow panels at the same time. Or if I need only one narrow panel, I insert some spacer material alongside the glue-up. Then the clamps and I are all happy. :)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks, Dennis. Mine came with a set of instructions on how to assemble them and use them both as double bar clamps and also how to use them as single bar clamps. The single bar clamp instruction (really just a sentence saying it could be done) was accompanied by a completely indecipherable (to me) sketch of what looked like a desk practically covered with single bar clamps going in every direction and I couldn't tell how (or if) they were fastened to each other. Ever tried to use them that way?
Last edited by algale on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I bought mine used, and didn't get any instructions with them. That's the first I've heard of using them as single-bar clamps.

If you have a nice flat workbench, I suppose that you could use single bars like ordinary cauls, but that wouldn't do anything to draw the glue joint up tight. If you post that sketch, I'll see if I can make sense of it.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I have sent a message to admin to see if there is an objection to posting the instructions.

Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I was not able to decipher that single bar clamp drawing, either.

Mike