Headstock Drawing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock Drawing

Post by everettdavis »

colday wrote:Fantastic job! Thanks!

So, I suppose the only difference between this and the Power Pro headstock is the absence of the speed control & pork chop, and obviously the motor. Am I missing anything?
Those are the core different items, with the addition of the electronics module and control panel added, new motor with poly-v belt, new drive sleeve assembly, new idler with poly-v belt, new quill, power cord, and switch (Headstock B series pictured)... see picture below

There are quite a few things the Power Pro system has native to it, because of those changes and the 1 3/4 HP Digital Variable Reluctance motor that is 2 HP when converted to 220, and all it takes is a plug swap on the power cord.

The unit is reversible, and has lower speeds and higher speeds than the traditional system (from 250 to 10,000 RPM), digitally controlled.

With the complete system or upgrade, dual tilting base (not shown) gives you under or over table routing and shaping, and the split sheaves are gone so no lubrication every 10 hours of use on them.

It takes a bit of getting used to not turning it off electrically with the switch between operations and letting it sit in standby, ready to adjust to operational speed required for various functions at the touch of a button. (password security is there if you need to use it)

I have used one in demonstration events, but don't personally own one yet. I plan to. I don't know how well that answered your question, but Shopsmith has not to my knowledge released an exploded drawing of the Power Pro headstock with all the parts. I will be watching for that!

I would go through the various upgrade options with the videos showing how it's done to get a better understanding.

Start at http://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpowerpro/index.htm
Power Pro Upgrade.jpg
Power Pro Upgrade.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock Drawing

Post by everettdavis »

colday wrote:Fantastic job! Thanks!

So, I suppose the only difference between this and the Power Pro headstock is the absence of the speed control & pork chop, and obviously the motor. Am I missing anything?
I posted another PDF drawing also to the original post Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited that shows a cross-sectional view of the Mark V and the Mark 7 Headstocks side by side.
Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

I think you may find that one more relevant to your question.

Everett