Bandsaw Bearings

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

Thanks for posting this.
I always find modifications interesting regardless of whether I will use it.
I haven't felt the need to replace my wheels but may in the future.
The knobs on the support legs.
All good ideas.
Bearing Bargains looks to be a good source for bearings.
Ed's and others postings of new or interesting products adds to the value and interest of the forum.

Greg
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

paulmcohen wrote:It looks like just a screw through the two new bearings replacing the one bearing that is currently standard. What are we missing?
You are missing a fair amount of what is in the assembly Paul as a result of just having a photo to look at. I worked on the CAD drawings of the assembly
last night and will post them in PDF when I finish the annotation.

LDH
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ldh wrote:You are missing a fair amount of what is in the assembly Paul as a result of just having a photo to look at. I worked on the CAD drawings of the assembly
last night and will post them in PDF when I finish the annotation.

LDH
I can read AutoCAD if you want to just post the drawing if that is easier.

Also there are many bearings on Bargain Bearings that fit the part number you posted. I was looking at using the Premium Stainless Steel ones.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

paulmcohen wrote:I can read AutoCAD if you want to just post the drawing if that is easier.

Also there are many bearings on Bargain Bearings that fit the part number you posted. I was looking at using the Premium Stainless Steel ones.
Paul,
I have finished the drawing so I will post them at this time. I scanned the drawings into PDF as not all of the folks use a CAD program. The part numbers that I have listed in the drawing will get you the parts you need, but all are welcome to use what ever works best for them. As I have said before, there are always new ways to skin the cat. I hope folks comment on what they see and get the ideas flowing.

LDH
Attachments
AutoTrakBearings.PDF
(33.14 KiB) Downloaded 3624 times
UpperLowerBackup.PDF
(34.07 KiB) Downloaded 3510 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

And the PDF is best viewed if you go to View/Rotate/clockwise. I got tired of laying down on my desk to view it. Keep falling asleep. :)
Last edited by beeg on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

beeg wrote:And the PDF is best viewed if you go to View/Rotate/clockwise. I got tired of laying down on my desk to view it. Keep falling asleep. :)
That's what that little control panel is for at the top of the PDF screen. Sorry it put you to sleep, you just may be staying up to late on Friday nights.

LDH
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ldh wrote:Paul,
I have finished the drawing so I will post them at this time. I scanned the drawings into PDF as not all of the folks use a CAD program. The part numbers that I have listed in the drawing will get you the parts you need, but all are welcome to use what ever works best for them. As I have said before, there are always new ways to skin the cat. I hope folks comment on what they see and get the ideas flowing.

LDH

I ordered everything from McMaster and Bearing Bargains it ran just over $50, and you end up with lots of stuff left over. Except for the bearings you can do several more upgrades. You end up with 4 extra bearings (10 cost less than 6). I went with Premium Bearings and Stainless hardware because the cost difference was very little.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

paulmcohen wrote:I ordered everything from McMaster and Bearing Bargains it ran just over $50, and you end up with lots of stuff left over. Except for the bearings you can do several more upgrades. You end up with 4 extra bearings (10 cost less than 6). I went with Premium Bearings and Stainless hardware because the cost difference was very little.
Hopefully the set-up will outlast the factory bearings and you will be able to justify your monetary outlay Paul. I firmly believe that you will get better performance from your saw. I may try one of the bi-metal blades that Nick recommends in the recent Sawdust Session. Were the drawing of any help to you? Good luck with your project and if I can answer any questions I will do my best to do so.

LDH
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ldh wrote:Hopefully the set-up will outlast the factory bearings and you will be able to justify your monetary outlay Paul. I firmly believe that you will get better performance from your saw. I may try one of the bi-metal blades that Nick recommends in the recent Sawdust Session. Were the drawing of any help to you? Good luck with your project and if I can answer any questions I will do my best to do so.

LDH

I ordered all the parts from McMaster and guessed on both the lock washer and nuts, they offer 100's of varieties of both. I will see how it goes, if I got the wrong ones I will just go to ACE for more. The plans seem perfect.

If this works as well as I think, this is something Shopsmith could easily offer as an upgrade. I would guess I really only needed $20 worth of hardware to do the upgrade but I purchased 10 and 100 packs because it was actually cheaper for the actual quantity I needed.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

I just ordered the parts from both places to give this a try as well. Should be exciting when everything gets here.