SS Jointer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

putttn
Gold Member

SS Jointer

Post by putttn »

There's a local CL ad for a very clean SS Jointer. I already own a Rigid jointer but I could free up a lot of space if I felt the SS was as good or better than the Rigid
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: SS Jointer

Post by wa2crk »

SS is smaller but the fact that the outfeed table on the SS is a solid casting is IMHO a benefit because it does not have to be adjusted. The fact that the infeed table can only be moved for the depth of cut is also a benefit. Larger jointers have adjustments for making the tables co-planer and these can be a hassle. If you only will be jointing stock narrower than 4" it is a good jointer. Flattening stock up to 4" is OK too. Some say that you can flatten stock wider than 4" but I have not tried it.
I like mine, and for what I do it is perfectly adequate.
Bill V
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

The flattening a wider board was to turn it around and run the opposite through on a second pass. You may encounter some tear out doing so.

Sorry, I didn't take measurements, so I'm just guessing on the measurements. If you want to run a board more than 4" you have to remove the guard and bigger than 5"-6" you have to remove the post the guard connects to from the table.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

How much are they asking for it. I wish I could find 0ne close to me.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

He's asking $125. I'll see if I can post the link. The on nearest me is the Spokane Wa CL and there's another very clean one in the Seattle CL. BOTH VERY CLEAN.
forrestb
Platinum Member

Post by forrestb »

Pardon the short response, but I am on my cell. When I return home I will a link to pix showing how I jointed, then flattened an 8inch wide by 2inch thick cherry board. Yes, you have to 'clear the deck' but you must leave the fence on for safety.
Forrest
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I think the SS jointer is as good as you will find in a 4 inch jointer. And as Forrest shows you can use it for even wider boards. There are better jointers but they do not offer the advantage of the space savings and variable speed. A large jointer with adjustable out feed table and spiral cutter head is a much better jointer but far bigger and far more expensive. For the few times I need to flatten longer wider boards I am willing to take the time to either set up a router sled on a table or use a sled on a surface sander or planer.
Paul
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Hi Puttin, Paul from the north side of town. I like my SS jointer but watch that one from Spokane it doesn't show it has mounting posts.
Paul B
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

There is one on cl here, though in the not really so close section... 200 with power stand. Who knows? Maybe they will ship. It's more, but it takes care or the issue I had with mine: I found it too painful to swap on and off due to a chronic neck injury.* 53 lbs isn't a lot for most, though.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/4899642960.html

I love mine but have next to nothing to compare it to. It's now mounted on a second ss so it doesn't fight for primacy with the bandsaw. They can both stay mounted.

*yeah, I know I should stop lifting it with my teeth but I'm slow at changing habits.