New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jobe05
Silver Member

Re: New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Post by jobe05 »

JPG wrote:
algale wrote:Harbor Freight carries Evaporust.

They also publish 20% off coupons.
Carry one in my wallet all the time!! They email them.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jobe05 wrote:
algale wrote:Harbor Freight carries Evaporust.
Ah..... Harbor Freight......

My favorite store!!!

I know, a lot of people don't like them but they are great for those stupid little things. Even their tools are better than most Craftsman stuff these days.
Ahh!!! NOT my favorite store. I thought as you, "for stupid little things" it should be fine. Not so in my experience.

Even things like the cheapy dusk masks with the small elastic band or acid brushes are crap. The second time you put on a HF dusk mask the elastic pulls out of the one staple that holds it. The same type of mask I used when I was active duty Air Force and then worked as an AF civilian never had that problem. They lasted for ever. The bristles HF acid brushes fall out on one or two uses.

Better than Craftsman? I agree that Craftsman has gone down hill over the years but I don't think they have sunk below HF. I bought a HF right angle air powered die grinder. I only need one occasionally so at $12 on sale how can you go wrong? Well, it works in that it turns the cutter but has absolutely no power. Anything more than very light pressure on the cutter and it stalls.

Having said all the above, I do have a HF blast cabinet. But,I did replace the siphon and gun with TP Tools products to make it work properly. So the only thing left is the metal box and not the HF "working" parts. Even then I disassembled the cabinet and sealed up all the joints/parts so I didn't have blast media all over the shop after use.

Harbor Freight, be very very careful!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Welcome!
Just a few quick comments before I turn off for the night:
I had fantastic luck with electrolysis, couldn't believe how well it works, though it did take the paint right off the rusty legs of my greenie (some past owner had a dog that peed on one if the legs, must of stored it outside). It is well worth the effort for larger things like tubes , though I didn't try evaporust myself so can't compare.

The jointer... It is a wonderful tool to have so keep it in the back if your mind. At some point you'll realize you have just the right tool and it will open a lot of possibilities.

The bandsaw... I don't have a link handy just now but search for a thread here on tuning up a bandsaw. I think jog or dusty wrote it?? I'll find it tomorrow if you don't find it right away (I'm on my phone now, can find it quickly on the actual computer). I found following those steps made a big difference in how well my bandsaw works. I also got Bill Mayo's bearing upgrade (well
worth it, and ask for his free replacement for the sthat control pivot).

The two most important things I've learned in the short time I've had a Shopsmith: the folk here can help you figure out just about anything, and don't be afraid to perform major surgery on your Shopsmith. They are very well designed and do go back together, though invest in some ziplock bags and scraps of paper to keep the various parts sorted.

OK, more than I meant to say. Again, welcome!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Yup, that's the one!
It truly should be a sticky. You demistified it for me as well as yourself.
And now I have it bookmarked on my phone and computer.
Thanks
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Bandsaw tracking is a simple 15 minute adjustment that can be completed in less than five hours.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

paulrussell wrote:Bandsaw tracking is a simple 15 minute adjustment that can be completed in less than five hours.

ROTFLMAO :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Brilliant!

Of course that applies to everything I do in the shop.