New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jobe05
Silver Member

New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Post by jobe05 »

Hi all, Name is John and I just purchased my very own SS M5. Based on the serial number, 129797, and as best as I can read the serial # list, I gather it was produced in July of 1982 (is that correct?)

I pick my unit up this weekend, it comes with a saw blade, fence, Miter gauge, band saw, jig saw, planer and 6" belt sander. However it has no sanding disc or drum, chuck or anything else, so Ebay will be my friend for a while.

Back in the 80's, my father in-law had a SS that we use to sit down in the basement for weeks on end working on projects for everyone, including a Banjo Clock that I built from the cherry tree we chopped down, still have the clock and it's the one thing that all my kids want upon my demise. In the meantime, I look forward to making many more air looms for them to fight over.

When I ran the unit, there was a strange undertone noise, could be dry spindles from sitting around for the past 3 years or it could be a bearing starting to go in what I am going to assume is still the original single bearing quill. So the first thing will be to tear the head apart and check everything, clean, oil and adjust and install new belts as I am sure they are original as well. I suspect that will cure this noise.

I have watched all of Jacob Anderson's You tube videos so tearing into this this is far less frightening than I first imagined, but Im sure I'll still have a lot of questions when I go to set all the attachments up.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Post by beeg »

Have ya read here yet?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... =10&t=7092

My belts from 1980 are still fine.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My 1962 Goldie still has the original poly-v belt. Cannot say the same for the motor belt.

i.e. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Belt dressing helps old rubber.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

Haven't looked inside yet but I an assuming that since it hasn't been ran in such a long time that the belts would be hard and now have a permanent bend to them. For the price and piece of mind, I'll get a new set and if I have to change the quill, it will be quick and painless change at that time.

Based on what I hear of this things recent history, I would doubt the amount of use it has gotten would have ever worn the set down.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jobe05 wrote:Hi all, Name is John and I just purchased my very own SS M5. Based on the serial number, 129797, and as best as I can read the serial # list, I gather it was produced in July of 1982 (is that correct?)

I pick my unit up this weekend, it comes with a saw blade, fence, Miter gauge, band saw, jig saw, planer and 6" belt sander. However it has no sanding disc or drum, chuck or anything else, so Ebay will be my friend for a while.

Back in the 80's, my father in-law had a SS that we use to sit down in the basement for weeks on end working on projects for everyone, including a Banjo Clock that I built from the cherry tree we chopped down, still have the clock and it's the one thing that all my kids want upon my demise. In the meantime, I look forward to making many more air looms for them to fight over.

When I ran the unit, there was a strange undertone noise, could be dry spindles from sitting around for the past 3 years or it could be a bearing starting to go in what I am going to assume is still the original single bearing quill. So the first thing will be to tear the head apart and check everything, clean, oil and adjust and install new belts as I am sure they are original as well. I suspect that will cure this noise.

I have watched all of Jacob Anderson's You tube videos so tearing into this this is far less frightening than I first imagined, but Im sure I'll still have a lot of questions when I go to set all the attachments up.
To isolate the strange noise, consider running it with the quill removed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

Thanks Dusty. First I'll clean and oil to see if that aids in quieting the noise, if not, then I will start taking things apart to illuminate each possibility.

The noise is underlying, kind of a behind the "Beast" noise, groaning noise...... so it's not a failure of anything at this point, I suspect it's just not from being run for so many years. Picking her up tomorrow, so I'll know more this weekend.

Question: Do the splines on the rear of the quill get oiled/greased?

I don't have a manual for it yet, but will get one.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jobe05 wrote:Thanks Dusty. First I'll clean and oil to see if that aids in quieting the noise, if not, then I will start taking things apart to illuminate each possibility.

The noise is underlying, kind of a behind the "Beast" noise, groaning noise...... so it's not a failure of anything at this point, I suspect it's just not from being run for so many years. Picking her up tomorrow, so I'll know more this weekend.

Question: Do the splines on the rear of the quill get oiled/greased?

I don't have a manual for it yet, but will get one.
Nope! The splined quill shaft slides in a nylon coupler. I would not use anything but powdered graphite but have never seen a need to do so.

FWIW, these things are noisey. Likely from the sheave sides not being smooth/continuous.

P.S. What color is it? That SN could be from an earlier era. What does the vent plate(with the SN) say the manufacturer is?

P.P.S. You referred to it as a M5. That makes me suspicious that it might be a 'Greenie'. If so, the quill will need grease since it slides in the steel drive assembly *. The greenies had a nylon dust cap made from nylon, not to be confused with a coupler.

* If memory serves me correctly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

The color is Grey, Textured paint. Serial number is 129727, I didn't get the name off the plate when I was there. If I am reading the serial number matrix correctly, it was made July of 1982 (pre 2 bearing quill days)

I will be picking it up today so I'll post that info and some pictures. The M5 reference was for "Mark V", thought I was just saved a few key strokes, but if it refers to an earlier model, I won't do that anymore.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes earlier on there was a Mark 5. If yours is grey and what I call splattered texture 1982 is accurate.

To add to the confusion, there was an earlier Mark VII not to be confused with the current Mark 7!

I dare say your manufacturer is Shopsmith, Inc.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:The greenies had a nylon dust cap made from nylon...
Of what OTHER material wood it be made of? :rolleyes:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob