Mark VII

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kablerj
Gold Member

Mark VII

Post by kablerj »

A couple months back, I picked up a Mark VII at a Habitat for Humanity Store. Other than checking to make sure everything functioned properly, I haven’t messed with it much.

Now that the shop is ready, I’m wondering what to do with this VII.

If you use, or have ever used a Mark VII, I would be interested to know what you think are it's pros and cons, also, what do you think is its best function.
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
e.friedl
Gold Member

Post by e.friedl »

Assuming you mean the old Mark VII. Real estate says location, location, location. In mark VIIs; condition, condition, condition. I have one in great condition. If the gear rack works and you want to go to vertical mode. Move the headstock to the center and tip it up, a lot easier to do. Then you can easily crank it to the top of the ways. I you wanted to get a Mark V back up, try to avoid a hernia.
And as compared to a model 500 the table looks as big as an aircraft carrier. Especially when the extension is added to the table top.
Then, of course, it has the under table function for use as a shaper. And the reversibility for the shaper and even to sand in opposite directions.
Yes I am a fan of the Mark VII. My cam is good and I do keep an eye on the lube and the bearing, although everyone is always diligent about maintenance. And I did cover my bet, when they were available, I did buy a metal cam as a back up.
And of course it will do all the same functions as a Mark V.
Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Its 'cons' are the uniqueness of many of its parts. That and the vulnerability of the plastic parts. Recently there has been more activity with MVII parts etc..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange