Need help for my small shop

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

seajay62
Gold Member

Need help for my small shop

Post by seajay62 »

I really need some help to solve my dilemma. I have a small shop (1 bay of a 2 bay garage)and too much stuff in it. I have gotten to the point of not being able to effectively work in the shop and that's not fun.

I have a workbench, a shopsmith M V 520, a shopsmith M V 500 shorty that I use for sanding and lathe work, a craftsman RAS and a dewalt planer each on a roll around cabinet, a shopsmith stand-alone scroll saw, a shopsmith old style overhead router table plus a portable router table top with the Incra Universal positioning jig (the original plastic version) which I use clamped in the workbench vice. I also have a shopsmith joiner and bandsaw. In addition, I have some storage cabinets, my shop vac with the Oneida dust-deputy attached, and a roll-around clamp cart. I can barely move around and must reposition things to work with any tool. I need help to reduce the clutter and please don't suggest that you would be happy to give my tools a new roomier home.

I am thinking about selling the overhead router set-up and possibly the scroll saw since I rarely use it.

Then, I am considering purchasing the shopsmith Pro Fence Router Table System. This would give me a router table set-up without using too much floor space and it can be stored when not in use.

Also, if I purchase the power-pro headstock and the Mk7 conversion, I can then rout both from above and below. This set-up seems to allow me to effectively get the benefits of the overarm pin router attachment in addition to everything else from the power-pro headstock. Unfortunately, the overarm set-up doesn't have enough table room to use the Incra positioning jig so I need the other router table set-up.

The order that I would do things would be as follows:

sell the overhead router table set-up and possibly the scroll saw
Purchase the pro fence router table
Purchase the power-pro headstock
purchase the M 7 conversion

Timing of purchases would be based on finances.

Am I making sense? Am I missing something? Do you have any alternative solutions? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Joe
New Jersey
1985 Mark V totally upgraded to Mark 7, dedicated Drill press, setting up Shop Deputy Sanding Station, plus...
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I am far from having usable knowledge, but it seems to me you have a lot of "stand alone" shopsmith devices. Maybe get some of them off of the "shorties", stands, etc and put them on racks?

As far as the Mark 7 upgrade, don't hesitate. :)

JMHO :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

There's no reason you could not do as you say. Whether it is the best plan of action for you given your space limitations is a question that only you can answer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

algale wrote:There's no reason you could not do as you say. Whether it is the best plan of action for you given your space limitations is a question that only you can answer.
Ditto to what algale said! One thing I have found really helpful in my crowded shop is Shopsmith's clear dust collector hose. It is extremely flexible, can be looped over anything and is really tough. It can be stepped on with no harmful effects. No more fighting with hoses!
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/dc_hoses.htm
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
inpursuit
Bronze Member

Newly and fortunate

Post by inpursuit »

Last Christmas I had a 30x80 barn and shop. The weekend before Christmas a small tornado came through and wiped out the barn leaving a 30x30 shop area which I am building back. My wife just ordered me a ss 7. Can't wait to get it here. Got electrician coming out tomorrow to give me estimate on all my electrical needs. BTW hi guys I'm in central Texas. I will probably be on here a lot looking for advise and help

Bill
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Since you are going with a Mark 7 conversion why not get the Shopsmith deputy conversion and dump the shorty that will free up some floor space? You can put the deputy on a roll around cart and have tons of storage underneath.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

If you are getting a PowerPro 7, be sure to put in 220V outlets wherever you might like to use the Shopsmith, so that you can get the full horsepower rating.

Mike
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Some guys use half of their garage to store their tools, and then "borrow" the other half and wheel the tools over when actually working. Would that make any sense for you?

How often do you use the RAS? If the answer is "occasionally", you might consider integrating it into a workbench, and just keep the the arm swung back when not in use.

I've been working on my own workshop layout lately, and found that adding a RAS actually freed up tons of space. By using a RAS for your crosscutting and cross-dadoing, you don't have to maintain a huge amount of side clearance for your SS (or tablesaw), nor do you have to feed a long unwieldy board sideways for crosscutting.
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

INPURSUIT - where in Central Texas are you located at?
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,
seajay62
Gold Member

Post by seajay62 »

Apparently many people looked at this post but only a few had any ideas to offer. I read through those responses and will specifically use the long hose idea and will add 220v outlets when I upgrade to the power pro. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to take a very conservative approach due to financial and space considerations.

I will sell the overhead router set-up. That eliminates one item taking up valuable floor space. Instead of getting the pro fence router table, I will make my own router table similar to the one in the following thread:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9735

( I don't know how to provide a live link but if you click on the link while pressing CTRL key will take you there.) After the initial post, see page 3, post #29 for a 520 fit. I only have to purchase front and rear rails and a router plate. This seems to be the quickest and cheapest way to move forward at this time.

The upgrades to the power pro and M7 conversion will have to wait.

Writing this thread caused me to think through my options and your input plus browsing through old threads has been helpful. It's like having a buddy here to discuss my options. Thanks for the ability to utilize this forum.
Regards,
Joe
New Jersey
1985 Mark V totally upgraded to Mark 7, dedicated Drill press, setting up Shop Deputy Sanding Station, plus...