Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dgale wrote:... I just recently had to replace the fan and housing as they had deteriorated over time and were allowing chips/sawdust to escape into the machine, which was then filling up with chips fairly quickly and jamming up the chain and sprockets for the raising/lowering mechanism...I guess this is a fairly common problem and often leads to people breaking the raising mechanism by then forcing it when it gets stiff. Fortunately it was easy and fairly inexpensive to order the parts from DeWalt and was a fairly easy replacement job. So, if you have a 735, make sure to remove the lid every once in a while and see if chips are building up inside...if so, the fan housing is the likely culprit and much of the damage was on the bottom/back side and almost impossible to see.
A while back, I broke one of the fan blades. This set up a new noise when the planer was running. I ordered a new fan and installed it very easily. No need here to replace the motor. The inside of the 735 were pretty clean. Guess there was a big chip coming from planing a knot. :mad:

Good recommendation to clean out the inside once and a while, but mine has had little dust or chips. Lucky, I guess:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

charlese wrote:A while back, I broke one of the fan blades. This set up a new noise when the planer was running. I ordered a new fan and installed it very easily. No need here to replace the motor. The inside of the 735 were pretty clean. Guess there was a big chip coming from planing a knot. :mad:

Good recommendation to clean out the inside once and a while, but mine has had little dust or chips. Lucky, I guess:)
Yes, I just had to replace the fan blade and the two-piece housing that surrounds it. The fan blades were all chipped up and the housing had a couple holes in it, both of which were on the back and bottom and thus hard to see the source of the wood chips inside. I also replaced the dust shroud, as it has some chips and cracks and was doomed to fail soon as well. I googled my problem (excessive build up of chips/saw dust inside machine) and quickly discovered it's a fairly common dilema with the 735 - the fan housing and fan blades must get damaged when planing harder woods or it's just wear and tear over time...perhaps the plastic on the fan housing gets brittle over time as well. As I mentioned, it was impossible to tell what was wrong until I took the fan housing out and saw the holes on the back/bottom. First tip was that it was getting harder to crank up/down and when I opened the top, it was full of debris...parts and shipping to replace the fan blade, housing, shroud and clips, screws and bolts were about $100 but now it runs like a Swiss watch.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dgale wrote:Yes, I just had to replace the fan blade and the two-piece housing that surrounds it. The fan blades were all chipped up and the housing had a couple holes in it, both of which were on the back and bottom and thus hard to see the source of the wood chips inside. I also replaced the dust shroud, as it has some chips and cracks and was doomed to fail soon as well. I googled my problem (excessive build up of chips/saw dust inside machine) and quickly discovered it's a fairly common dilema with the 735 - the fan housing and fan blades must get damaged when planing harder woods or it's just wear and tear over time...perhaps the plastic on the fan housing gets brittle over time as well. As I mentioned, it was impossible to tell what was wrong until I took the fan housing out and saw the holes on the back/bottom. First tip was that it was getting harder to crank up/down and when I opened the top, it was full of debris...parts and shipping to replace the fan blade, housing, shroud and clips, screws and bolts were about $100 but now it runs like a Swiss watch.
Dang, for only $75 more than your replacement parts, you could have had this.

[ATTACH]26876[/ATTACH]

Too late now! :D

I alerted my neighbor buddy the day it popped up on Craigslist, and he picked it up the very next morning. Dunno why the ad is still up.
Attachments
Planer_600x450.jpg
Planer_600x450.jpg (32.46 KiB) Viewed 12125 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Dang, for only $75 more than your replacement parts.

Too late now! :D

Probably cost that much or more for shipping. PLUS the cost of damage.:eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

beeg wrote:Probably cost that much or more for shipping. PLUS the cost of damage.:eek:
Yup, that's a great bargain for the Pro Planer, as long as you live within a reasonable driving distance of Columbus OH...which I definitely don't.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
dusty
Platinum Member

Looks Like a Good Opportunity to Upgrade

Post by dusty »

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

You Don't See These Every Day

Post by algale »

If you need a top for your old style pin router, this guy has you covered in spades.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/bar/4697545760.html

[ATTACH]26908[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26909[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26912[/ATTACH]
Attachments
01212_3TcXfZaDkgz_600x450.jpg
01212_3TcXfZaDkgz_600x450.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
01313_jViRYIawSTL_600x450.jpg
01313_jViRYIawSTL_600x450.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
00q0q_5A9R3RvzhnJ_600x450.jpg
00q0q_5A9R3RvzhnJ_600x450.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
00v0v_fObRvWDfHRq_600x450.jpg
00v0v_fObRvWDfHRq_600x450.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

This might be a pretty good deal on a 510 southwest of Pittsburgh.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4764243780.html
Seller has a DC too
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4764183289.html
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
bepilot
Bronze Member

Overarm router w/Bosch Plunge Router

Post by bepilot »

I bought the Overarm router system for my 510 a couple years ago. After using it a few times I found I used my table router for most jobs. This has just been sitting gathering dust. I need more room in my shop. I have it posted on Craigslist(northern Michigan).

Everything is included including the SS DVD. I paid $200 for the Bosch router kit including some optional accessories. I am asking $250 for everything. Take a look. http://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/4762172752.html