Jointer question

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pilvr83
Gold Member

Jointer question

Post by pilvr83 »

I have the shop smith jointer and it seems to be very hard to turn the adjustment knob. I can move it to 1/8" very easy then it binds up. What do you think I have to fix to make it move easier or is this normal?

One other question...how exactly does the jointer work? I mean I notice the back part of the jointer raises higher than the front part but how does it slice the wood when the outfeed is higher than the infeed portion?

Clueless
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The outfeed is higher than the infeed by the amount you are cutting from the board. If it sat at any other height, you could not cut a board straight.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The knob is attached to a screw. Likely the threads are crudded up.

The blades should be set to the same height as the outfeed table. The infeed table is adjusted to control depth of cut.

The blades do the 'slicing', not the tables. The tables support the workpiece as it approaches(infeed) and moves away(outfeed) from the blades.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pilvr83 wrote:I have the shop smith jointer and it seems to be very hard to turn the adjustment knob. I can move it to 1/8" very easy then it binds up. What do you think I have to fix to make it move easier or is this normal?

One other question...how exactly does the jointer work? I mean I notice the back part of the jointer raises higher than the front part but how does it slice the wood when the outfeed is higher than the infeed portion?

Clueless
If you will carefully read this entire thread, I believe it will answer your questions regarding how the jointer work.

Don't get embroiled into a debate regarding whether the cutter should be "at the same height" or a "tiny bit below" the outfeed table.

Your question involves infeed table height with respect to outfeed table height.

How far the infeed table is below the cutter head (which is for all practical purposes the same as the outfeed table) will determine how much is cut.

I seldom cut more than 1/64" to 1/32" on a single pass.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
forrestb
Platinum Member

another check

Post by forrestb »

With your jointer at is highest setting (i.e. your "⅛ inch") check how far the out feed table actually above the indeed table. Could be your depth of cut indicator is wrong.
Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
bhurley
Gold Member

Post by bhurley »

Could be one of 2 things - the nut that holds the outfeed table could be too tight. The second one is a longshot but - on the newer joiners there is a tab that drops down to prevent the operator from unknowingly taking too deep of cut. This seems silly but I have had it happen. I don't have a newer joiner right now so I can send you a photo.
Chin Up!

Got most all of them
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

forrestb wrote:With your jointer at is highest setting (i.e. your "&#8539] Could be your depth of cut indicator is wrong.[/U]
Forrest
By 1/4"??????????

What does it indicate when the tables are the same?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

Thank you for the responses. I still am having trouble visualizing how it is supposed to work but I notice it does work. My wife tells me to not worry about the mechanics of the operation!!

I will look at the nut placement a little closer today. I am a little intimidated to take it too far apart.

One more question, yesterday Shopsmith sent an email with a conical sanding disk that also joints wood.

Would this be a better option for me then using this jointer?

Thanks again,

Greg
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Not IMO, jointer for jointing sanding disc for sanding. Think of your jointer this way, like an aircraft carriers deck, that hat has a crack in it perpendicular, (left to right) to the plains landing, the farther half is higher then where the planes first touch down by 2 feet, as the planes land and pass over this difference in height, it takes of there wheels.
Dont take that nut off yet, just back off a quarter/half turn and see if it moves smoother, you dont want it to easy.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

pilvr83,
I will take some exsadurated pics in a bid and post them. That should give you a better picture in your mind.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.