Saftey Caps!!!!!????

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Saftey Caps!!!!!????

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

I dont like the 2 STP shafts spinning and exposed, would not take much for something to get caught in them if careless. I have been looking for a way to cover them or do something with them. From some of my refurbishing of tools I had some left over spray paint caps. They fit perfectly, do not come off at high speeds, BUT pull off relatively easy. If you did get a shirt sleeve, tie, hoody hood strings ect caught on them, just a slight pull and your free.
Patten and Copy Rights pending.
Attachments
P7300112 (800x600).jpg
P7300112 (800x600).jpg (342.7 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
P7300113 (800x600).jpg
P7300113 (800x600).jpg (332.25 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

rbursek wrote:I dont like the 2 STP shafts spinning and exposed, would not take much for something to get caught in them if careless. I have been looking for a way to cover them or do something with them. From some of my refurbishing of tools I had some left over spray paint caps. They fit perfectly, do not come off at high speeds, BUT pull off relatively easy. If you did get a shirt sleeve, tie, hoody hood strings ect caught on them, just a slight pull and your free.
A good patent attorney could probably get you that patent, as the prior art works on a different principal. ;)

But four bucks to the mother ship will also solve the problem, so don't expect to get rich! :(
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

BuckEye D,
shucks!!! You know how much thought I put into this???? Thought I would get financially independent!!!! I was looking at Class A Motor Homes from my new windfall.
$4.00 from the mother ship? I will need 3 at least. A better bargain from her. Thanks for the balloon bust!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A sleeve or hoodie string are not a reason for 'shielding', but a reason for using more common sense when in proximity to rotating(or whatever motion) machinery. Accidently(inattention) touching them results in minimal risk IMHO.

Sorta like wearing a necktie while operating a lathe.:eek: How ya gonna operate on a covered bowl/spindle?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

JPG, the Class A Motor home was to come visit you!!!!!!:(
Last winter nephew almost did the hoodie string thing!!! We had a thread like this B4, awareness is key!!!
Good morning, another fine day in WI, think I am in San Diego this summer!!!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

rbursek wrote:I dont like the 2 STP shafts spinning and exposed, would not take much for something to get caught in them if careless. I have been looking for a way to cover them or do something with them. From some of my refurbishing of tools I had some left over spray paint caps. They fit perfectly, do not come off at high speeds, BUT pull off relatively easy. If you did get a shirt sleeve, tie, hoody hood strings ect caught on them, just a slight pull and your free.

Actually I think as long as the cap spins the danger (if there is one) is not removed. A hood string would only tighten the cap to the spindle all the more and reel you in.

That is why I work naked.:eek: :D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

Remember... The "search" tool is your friend. FYI, they also make a guard for the big spinning blade. ;)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

I heard that about retirees in FL!!!! Its the females that cook in the nude that bothers me :eek:
Actually the cap is held on by an inner smaller "cap" inside the main cap.
Still a downer about the Class A Motor home, and visiting JPG this winter!!!!!;)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Shopsmith made a cover for the 2 SPT shafts that is just what you are looking for. I believe the Europeans market required this safety protection before Shopsmith could be sold in that area. I found this safety cover to be in the way so I removed them. 2 screws holds it to the belt housing. I will look to see if I can find one that I discarded. I cannot find a part number for it.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="rbursek"]I heard that about retirees in FL!!!! Its the females that cook in the nude that bothers me :eek:
Actually the cap is held on by an inner smaller "cap" inside the main cap.
Still a downer about the Class A Motor home, and visiting JPG this winter!!!!!]

Back in the late 60's I went into a pizza joint out in San Jose Calf where the entire female staff was bottomless. Almost died when the waitress brought our pizza out to the table after we ordered at order here station. Kind of took the edge off my hunger.
I mean if you have to wear hair nets for your head.:eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!