We recently had new casement windows installed (17 of them ). We have a relatively new portable air conditioner that I needed to vent through our bedroom window, but casement windows require an adaptation to do this. I chose to screw my version to the removable bug screen.
I am quite pleased with how the adapter turned out. I bought an extra screen from the window supplier to modify, so that the original screen can go back in after AC season, leaving the rest of the window " as installed".
The above photo shows the lower 2/3 of the window bug screen covered by a piece of shatter proof acrylic plastic with a hole cut to suit the air conditioner hose end.
I cut the perimeter of the plastic sheet and the plywood retaining pieces with a fine tooth blade in the Shopsmith band saw and then smoothed them up with the drum sander in the SS drill press. The hole was cut using a fine tooth blade in a Craftsman sabre saw that I bought around 1970 and also smoothed using the drum sander.
I used #10 bolts through the plastic (they were what I had!) to hold the hose to the hole with washers under the bolt heads to spread the load.
The plastic is fastened to the aluminum bug screen frame with short metal screws that do not penetrate right through the frame. I cut small openings (slots) at the plastic sliding bug screen catches to make them accessible.
It looks ok from outside, fits in the window without a struggle and will be easily removed for the cooler months!
- acrylic on lower 2 thirds of window.jpg (170.3 KiB) Viewed 30433 times
- connection to plastic.jpg (195.21 KiB) Viewed 30297 times
- cutout in plastic at sliding retainer.jpg (132.47 KiB) Viewed 30257 times
- seen from outside.jpg (123.28 KiB) Viewed 30264 times
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig