Idea on quick change sanding disks

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rmojo
Gold Member

Idea on quick change sanding disks

Post by rmojo »

I only have one 12" sanding disk. I was thinking that if I put the velcro on the disk and used hardboards with velcro on the back and different grits on the front. All I would have to do is remove the hardboard to change grits. What do you guys think?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Or you could buy a couple more sanding disks, say one for 80-100 one of 120 and one for 180 -220.

Or you could buy the velcro sanding upgrade and velcro backed sanding disks.

Or you could try what you are thinking. I would think if the disk is centered and fairly balanced it would work fine.

Stand to the side while you test it.:eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

you may want to try here for velcro conversions.
http://www.supergrit.com/
Bill V
rmojo
Gold Member

Post by rmojo »

thanks Bill
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

You might want to experiment a bit first. With hook and loop fasteners the side that is pulled off is usually flexible and peels off a bit at a time. With two hard surfaces you will working against the pull of the entire surface at once to remove.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

rmojo wrote:I only have one 12" sanding disk. I was thinking that if I put the velcro on the disk and used hardboards with velcro on the back and different grits on the front. All I would have to do is remove the hardboard to change grits. What do you guys think?
To me that sounds like a slick idea. Velcro tends to degrade rapidly, and a sanding disk that looks like a humongous wavy washer is not the best venue for fine finishing sanding, methinks.
The part that degrades is the holding power, to be clear. Multiple ons and offs get weaker with every change. But the hardboard disc should pretty much negate that effect I would think.

I like the theory.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

You might want to look into using 3M Dual Lock instead of Velcro. It sticks to itself, instead of having two parts, and I think that it will last longer than Velcro.

Mike
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Watch the velcro discs. Basically, they have a pad behind the actual disc, that is soft.

Think about sanding a sharp, crisp edge on a joint. You "ainta gonna" do it with a velcro disc.

On the other hand, I found a decent (Skil) rebuilt 5 inch 8 hole orbital sander, rebuilt for $15. I use it for smoothing out the (horrid) interior of new Lodge cookware. It has hook&loop mounting, but for this use, I don't care. Since the filter won't fit on in a Lodge pot, I don't align up the holes, and it blows less carbon and iron around my kitchen. Yes, I do use it dry! I use the fill (season) and file method, to get the bottoms smooth. Sand off the mountain peaks, and fill in the valleys with seasoning.

steve
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Skou,
I did the same thing with some of my cast iron fry pans, the micro finish I got on them is suburb if IDSSMS.
Also M makes a light tack spray adhesive that once on the disc and sand paper lets you remove it and reaply at any time. I have not tried it yet but saw the "wood turner guy" use it on his lathe/turning show.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.